Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: The real Golden Age is coming

Wild Turkey 101 is one of my daily drinker and all time favorite. Everything else...not so much. I did like Rare Breed, but for the price I would rather stick with the 101. Russel's Reserve was missing something, but I think its faults have been fixed with the new release. (at least on paper)

Advanced Taster

Interesting - I never knew Wild Turkey uses non GMO corn. I had read an article that said 4R and BT were the only two major distilleries to insist on non GMO, and now I am reading an article that says it's only 4R and WT.

Guru

Would be rather difficult to prove.

Connoisseur

The distilleries aren't insisting on using non-GMO corn because of 'quality'. They are insisting on it so they can continue to export their bourbon to Europe and Japan. The day regular corn is no longer available (which is fast approaching) is the day they can no longer export and MIGHT have to shut down. I was very surprised to learn that 90% of 4R's profits come from export sales.

I think the Golden Age is now and will end when GMO finally has the monopoly.
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Advanced Taster

When/if labeling becomes more informative, it may stop being primarily an export issue. But I sure hope you are wrong about non GMO corn soon being unavailable. Some things I've read seem to give reason for hope. Check out this article (though nearly two years old at this point): http://www.non-gmoreport.com/article...tamination.php

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
    The distilleries aren't insisting on using non-GMO corn because of 'quality'. They are insisting on it so they can continue to export their bourbon to Europe and Japan. The day regular corn is no longer available (which is fast approaching) is the day they can no longer export and MIGHT have to shut down. I was very surprised to learn that 90% of 4R's profits come from export sales.

I think the Golden Age is now and will end when GMO finally has the monopoly.

Does this mean WT8 and WT12 comes back home ??
    Mark

Guru

I believe the real issue with GMO corn is the lack of consumer acceptance.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    Does this mean WT8 and WT12 comes back home ??
    Maybe. Who knows what will happen when the bottom drops out.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoldBully View Post
    When/if labeling becomes more informative, it may stop being primarily an export issue. But I sure hope you are wrong about non GMO corn soon being unavailable. Some things I've read seem to give reason for hope. Check out this article (though nearly two years old at this point): http://www.non-gmoreport.com/article...tamination.php
    Read up on interviews with Master Distiller Jim Rutledge. He talks about the shortage and how it will soon not be available. The long and short of it is that GMO corn will quickly cross pollinate with standard corn. When that happens Monsanto will suddenly charge you will having to pay royalties on the use of GMO corn. The GMO corn is engineered to die and become inert after the first season. So, in that manner, all regular corn is being 'killed off' so-to-speak and replaced with GMO. I figure in 5 years there may not be such a thing as non-GMO corn.

Guru

Yes, Mr. Rutledge is also on record as saying there is no difference in the quality of the whisky produced by GMO or non-GMO corn varieties.

When it comes to Bourbon and GMO corn the issue for some in Europe and elsewhere is political and used to further their real agenda which is bashing America.