Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Break'g & Entering?...Breackenridge?

I was visiting my local spirits monger a little while ago.
    He wanted me to try (for $40) a bottle of what he claimed was; "...the real deal". It was Breaking & Entering Bourbon.
    He also tried to get me to order another 'new' offering he claimed to have heard great things about;
    Breckenridge Bourbon (he had no price yet for this one).
    Does anyone have experience with either one of these? What is anyone's recommendation... or lack thereof?

Virtuoso

Re: Break'g & Entering?...Breackenridge?

These are both bourbons sourced from Kentucky by other companies. I actually have a review of the Breckenridge lined up for next week. I like it, though it's a bit pricey. I didn't care for the Breaking & Entering which is quite light.

Enthusiast

I was gifted a bottle of B&E about 5 months ago, drank a couple drams then and was not impressed. I'm revisiting it right now, to add some fresh notes for you.

Color: Medium light honey tan. If straw colored Scotch is a 1 and ECBP is a 5, this is about a 2 to 2-1/2.
    Nose: Mostly rubbing alcohol, with a tiny hint of fruit cocktail. I don't think I would know it was bourbon, blind.
    Taste: Dry, very little sweetness or barrel char. With a 10 second "Kentucky Chew" some astringency and heat, despite 86 pf.
    Finish: About 2 seconds of alcohol heat and that's it.

One of the worst bourbons I've had. If it weren't a gift, I'd feel worse about it. At least I didn't spend money on it.
    My $8 bottle of current Old Taylor is much better juice.

Guru

That's a remarkable comment, that current Taylor comes off well in comparison.

Enthusiast

But true, squire. It may be only 80 pf, but it still has some butter/caramel sweetness, and tastes like bourbon.

Guru

And worth every penny.

Connoisseur

I'm not a fan of either myself.

I've tried both at local establishments here in the Atlanta area. The B&E deal is from St. George and I typically like what they are doing (I really enjoy their Gins), so I gave their bourbon a try and found it very light and not very flavorful. Agree with some of the above poster's comments.

The Breckenridge stuff tasted mighty young to me, almost white doggy, but I'm not sure how much it has evolved since I tried it. My biggest bitch about that brand is the absolute garbage I get from people trying to sell it to me. I've been told by bartenders and shopkeepers alike that it is 6, 7, 8 years old and a bargin for the price, that and they got double gold at the SF Spirits and Long Drive competition or something like that. All I know is there is no age statement on the bottle and everything I have found states the juice is 2 to 3 years old. I might be more willing to give it another chance if I found the marketing to be a bit more honest, not sure who to put that on, the distillery, the distributors, or the stores, but one way or another, I'm not biting.

Connoisseur

Thanx all! Particularly the honest and unflinching taste test by Black Mamba. Better you (for free) than me, dude.
    I was leery about the hard sell for a couple drams I knew so little about, other than they are (or were) sourced from either Indiana or KY, and not distilled by the folks marketing either one. I guess one of 'em is soon to be 'self-distilled', at least in part; but, when that happens it is expected to be unchanged from the current profile... apparently still mediocre ... And at pretty steep dinaro, I'm even more unlikely to jump on 'em. I'll look for your review SKU. But, I'm thinking these aren't for my taste... or wallet.
    Again, thanx folks!

Disciple

I have the B&E at the KBF and was unimpressed, and the Breckenridge has always been too pricey to try ($42+ for 86 proof, 2-3 yrs old? Puuhleeez) I figured since I hadn't heard anyone raving about it, or hadn't seen it on a table at the gazebo or some GBS event, probably not that great Although - Bourbon Supreme has made some appearances (along with American Spirit?), so my gauge ain't that great!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Not really a fair comparison though, Bourbon Supreme is twice as old.