Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Break'g & Entering?...Breackenridge?

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    These are both bourbons sourced from Kentucky by other companies. I actually have a review of the Breckenridge lined up for next week. I like it, though it's a bit pricey. I didn't care for the Breaking & Entering which is quite light.
    Are you sure it's sourced goods?

I'm fairly positive Breckenridge is a Colorado Distillate? https://www.breckenridgedistillery.com/hooch/products

Unmalted barley is interesting that would make it an enzymatic distillate. Who in kentucky does unmalted bourbon?
    Last edited by brettckeen; 06-12-2013 at 16:34.
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Not really a fair comparison though, Bourbon Supreme is twice as old.
    And American Spirit is 10 times as light, so you're right - not fair by a stretch
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by brettckeen View Post
    Are you sure it's sourced goods?

I'm fairly positive Breckenridge is a Colorado Distillate? https://www.breckenridgedistillery.com/hooch/products

Unmalted barley is interesting that would make it an enzymatic distillate. Who in kentucky does unmalted bourbon?
    I was told directly by the distillery that it is a Kentucky bourbon. They are aging their own as well and eventually plan to blend it and then switch over entirely.

I also asked about the unmalted barley and was told that was a mistake. The mashbill uses regular malted barley.

Connoisseur

I was told directly by the distillery that it is a Kentucky bourbon. They are aging their own as well and eventually plan to blend it and then switch over entirely.

I also asked about the unmalted barley and was told that was a mistake. The mashbill uses regular malted barley.
    Who is making that mashbill for sale in KY? Doesn't It sounds like MGPI high rye?
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Break'g & Entering?...Breackenridge?

Had a customer request Breckenridge today. He showed me a write up in some whiskey magazine. 2-3 yr old sourced bourbon. Ho hum

Advanced Taster

Seems like every halfway decent liquor store with a better than bare minimum bourbon selection in these parts has both of these. Haven't had the Breckenridge, we have a bottle of B&E at work. Meh, not great, not terrible: underwhelming. At least they are upfront and honest with the origins of their juice, unlike some other micros. They even put it it right in the name!

Virtuoso

I have sampled the Brekenridge and thought it was too light and simple to be worth the $. It seems to get fair to decent reviews.

Connoisseur

I was at the distillery in April (go twice a year) and was told that they were already blending their bourbon with the Kentucky sourced stuff. They hoped to eventually go to 100% their stuff. They said the point where they began blending was when they changed to wording on the bottle. I have both bottles and the newer (blended?) stuff seems little lighter and I really like it, but I have never done a blind tasting so it could be mind over matter. They would not say the percentages of each so it may be 95/5. They have been distilling for several years and use 53 gal barrels so they should have some on hand. They were also adding a continuous still and expanded storage after ski season. At the distillery it goes for $40/ bottle but in Dillon/Silverthorne I have seen it from $30 - $60. Go figure...

I thought the Peach Street (Palisade, CO) tasted similar and they say it is 100% their stuff and at least 2 years old, but at $60 - $70/bottle, I thought it was a little too steep.

River North Brewery in Denver uses Breckenridge Bourbon barrels to barrel it's bourbon-barreled beer so I They have dumped some barrels. Excellent beer btw.
    Last edited by Enoch; 06-13-2013 at 06:37.

I don't think Breckenridge is all that bad, I just don't think it's a $45 bottle of Bourbon. I spoke to the local distributor about this just yesterday. It's a decent higher rye bottle that has no place being in this price range. If I were in the mood for that type of bottle, I would buy Elmer T Lee for $32.

Disciple

Break'g & Entering?...Breackenridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    River North Brewery in Denver uses Breckenridge Bourbon barrels to barrel it's bourbon-barreled beer so I They have dumped some barrels. Excellent beer btw.
    They could be using the barrels from the bulk whiskey. A local brewer here makes a beer aged in "High West" rye barrels. Since HW isn't selling their own juice yet, presumably those are LDI barrels.

Too much mystery around Breckenridge. They're selling their resort town name as much or more as they're selling their bourbon. If they start being legitimately honest about what they're bottling, I might try a bottle. If they continue to be vaguely "honest" (hey, there's SOME of our own distillate in there!) then there's no chance.
    Jim