Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

View Poll Results: Bourbon Consumption

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • one or two shots a week

7 11.11%
  • three to six shots per week

20 31.75%
  • seven to ten shots per week

17 26.98%
  • 11 to 14 shots per week

11 17.46%
  • more than 15 shots per week

8 12.70%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Volumnous Consumption Part one

From some ot the chatter around these parts, one might assume that we're all imbibing 24 hours per day. To set the record straight, I'd like you to engage in my poll. If you're reading this post, please take the poll!

Now, please be honest here. I'm not your doctor/wife/husband/conscience/etc. so there's nobody looking over your shoulder. I'm just trying to get a general concensus about just HOW MUCH BOURBON is being consumed by SB.com members. By "shot", I'm referring to 1.5 or 2 ounces, what I consider to be a typical home-pour.

Away we go...

bottoms up, and

Administrator in exile

Re: Volumnous Consumption Part one

Dave, I generally consume on average 1 drink in the evening on weeknights, and maybe 2/night on the weekends. That said, it is not unusual for me to go several nights to a week without a single drink. Just depends on what's going on and how busy I am.

Kinda like the person who tries to cut back to only one cup of coffee per day by buying a bigger cup, I tend to enjoy relatively high-proof bourbons

Virtuoso

I just came off a period where things weren't going so well and I looked to bourbon as a comfort food. I wasn't drinking to forget, i.e., I wasn't getting drunk, but I was drinking bourbon because I like it and I wanted to enjoy something I liked. I was having 2 or 3 stiff pours over the course of the evening, 6 - 7 nights a week, since springtime.

But, about mid-August, I stopped completely. Last week I had the first drink I had in five weeks. Right now, I am have only one measured pour (1.5 shots, about 2.25 oz) on Friday and one on Saturday. At this lower rate, I can drink the really good stuff and not go broke.

BTW, I answered the survey according to my current consumption.

Guru

I usually have only one drink on any given evening. Maybe once a month or less often I will have two. And maybe once every six months or so I will have three. And I try to hold to a personal policy of never more than three.

So, right there, I'm limited to a max of about 9 drinks per week. But, on top of those rules, I try to limit myself to no more than 4 to 6 nights per week. So, I answered "3 to 6", but that may be slightly low. 5 to 7 would probably be the right answer for me.

I used to drink to get drunk, but I try to never do that anymore. I tell myself I'm to old to punish myself that way, but in truth, I wish I had never drank the way I used to.

Tim

Enthusiast

I do not drink at all Mon-Thur. I drink 5 drinks or more Fri-Sat-Sun. As a rule Fri and Sunday are light and Saturday is heavy. I would be better off to have one or two a night but that has never been my style. I gave up bourbon for lent and had no problem with having one or two beers. I love bourbon and it is hard to just have one when I have bottles and bottles just waiting. Oh well I guess I'll be the Straight Bourbon Poster Child For Problem Drinking. Hats off to you one drink a night guys.

Advanced Taster

This is a very good post and is a vital topic for us all to talk about....its like the elephant in the room that no one claims to see. Personally I know I drink too much but I do set some limits on myself. I rarely go to bars...I am afraid to drive when I have been drinking (never had a DWI and definately dont want to get one)...I drink nearly always at home but never when the kids are here. I usually drink two nights, maybe 3 nights a week. However I almost always have at least half a pint...but usually not more than 12/14 ounces total.(Figure a fifth to a quart a week) I am a big guy...6'2'/ 250 but I realize that is too much bourbon on a regular basis. I have been to AA meetings but have never spoken and only attended a few...they are very valuable for those who want to stop. Right now I don't want to stop. This past year since I discovered SB has been the heaviest consumption year of my life. I dont know which came first, the chicken or the egg...did I go to SB because I was entering a new phase of drinking or did my enjoyment of SB promote acceptance and greater interest in bourbon and thus drinking?? I do know for a fact that I really enjoy this site and that armed with my much greater knowledge gained here, I have tried to taste nearly everything in the bourbon world that is out there. I am stating the obvious when I say that my bourbon tasting quest has found that Buffalo Trace has the best bourbons...but I like many others ...in fact few have been "bad". On a optomistic note they say that recognition of a problem is one half of solving it so perhaps I will begin to slow down...I know for the sake of my health it must slow down sometime soon. Cheers and salutes to my SB friends.

Connoisseur

Buckky, your post definitely has given us all food for thought. At what point does being enthusiastic for bourbon become promoting alcoholism? I don't know if there's a simple answer to that question. My own personal experiences with SB.com have been more of a "don't drink more, drink BETTER" type of feedback.

Enthusiast

Buckky

I too am a big guy 237lbs and only 5'10". I used to do a good bit of power lifting so it's not all in my gut. I am proud of you not drinking and driving. I had a recent scare with that and it is not worth it. I feel strange drinking at home alone. I think that it points to a problem, or what could be a problem. I was drinking 7 nights a week before I started coming here. I cut out the weekdays in part because my wife was concerned and for my health. Funny thing is I do not miss it. Giving it up for Lent was harder than I thought it would be. I hope others will be as honest and candid as you have been. I have never been to an AA meeting and do not think I will as long as I can stay sober when I want to. If I ever reach for a bottle when I wake up I hope I'm in a meeting that night. One thing is for sure you are not going to hide your drinking if you drink Bourbon the smell will give you away.

Enthusiast

I answered the survey regards bourbon, not spirits. Including everything, I drink on average 5-6 nights a week. I usually have half servings because I like variety. Most nights I have 2 half servings, but when I participate in a weekly 3 hour online chat, I usually have about 5 half servings. Also, on Friday and Saturday night I'm more likely to have 3 or 4 half servings. About twice a year I participate in whiskey get-togethers where I drink much more, 15-20 half servings over 5-8 hours. These are the only times I'm substantially impaired and I take appropriate precautions.

I usually drink alone because there are not many others locally who share my appreciation for spirits and I want to avoid driving. But "alone" is often online with likeminded friends.

I have heard that "2 drinks a day is healthy" I'm always in that range except for WhiskeyFest, etc.

Virtuoso

Good point about the elephant. As you might have seen in other posts of mine recently, I was starting to get in deep and had to get out for a few weeks.

I envy the folks who can stick to one drink a night. It's very hard for me to do that. Actually, it's easier for me to avoid the first one, than to avoid the second one. So, as I am picking back up, I am having my wife be mt Kerberos. She is guarding the stash. When it's time for my alloted drink, she retrieves the bottle, lets me pour, then returns the bottle.

As I've started to tip toe back in, I am having several revelations in comparing the prior frequent consumption before and the occasional consumption now. Before, I would use more mid-shelf varieties. They were easier drinking, in general, and were cheaper to consume more frequently, e.g., Weller 12 yo, OFor BIB, OFitz BIB, AAA 10 yo. In other words, quaffing bourbon. Now, I go straight for my favorites which tend to be top shelf bottles. With only one drink per night, I want as much flavor as I can get, e.g., ORVW, GTS, EzraB SB. In other words, sipping bourbon (not to be confused with the harsh TN sipping whiskey). I don't want to waste my one drink allotment on the lesser stuff!