Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Novice

Greetings from Downriver Detroit!

Hello there. I'm a novice currently living in the downriver detroit area. I'm slowly but surely trying to methodically expand my pallate. So far I've discovered that I'm a high-rye bourbon and straight rye type of guy. I'm interested in tasting wheaters, but I really enjoy the spiciness of the higher rye bottles.

I would also like to network with fellow SB'ers from the region. I've been trying, with no luck, to find tastings, private bottlings, etc in the area.

Guru

Re: Greetings from Downriver Detroit!

Hello a1, welcome aboard, I expect some of our Detroit members will be chiming in about local activities.

Welcome aboard I hope you enjoy your time here. Come join us in chat some time it's in the lower left hand corner of your screen. As for activities in your area and else where keep an eye on the bourbon social thread.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Novice

Hopefully I'll be able to pop my head in chat tonight.

Guru

Welcome to SB! Several other Michiganders there, including in your area (my old man - and I mean OLD - is in Downriver as well - Richnimrod; I grew up in the area before escaping Michigan). I'm sure they'll loop you in on area tastings and events. What are some of the high-rye bourbons you're enjoying now? I'm also in that spectrum (not to the exclusion of wheaters, but I definitely lean rye!)
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Novice

So, being a novice I made a conscious decision to start exploring the base of the bourbon pyramid. EW black label has been my go to drink for years and I somewhat recently started getting serious about tasting bourbons after a brief stint in the scotch world that left my wallet scarred and scared. I'm Not sure if the EW family is high rye, but I've had black label, 1783 and their single barrel. I've had OGD 80 and BiB. I've tasted a few others from my dad's stash, but he doesn't willingly hand out the good stuff...lol... For straight rye I've gone through a few bottle of Rittenhouse BiB and dickel. I have access to templeton and old overholt, might explore those sometime..

On my "to buy" list
    EC12
    OGD114
    Four Roses (yellow label, small batch and single barrel)
    EC barrel proof

I would love to find high rye or straight rye private bottlings for purchase in the area.

Guru

The OGD 114 is a great high-rye bourbon. EWBL is a rye bourbon, but not a "high-rye" persay (although a decent enough pour). I actually prefer it to EW 1783. Some others are Old Forrester - which is a high-rye, and 1792 Ridgemont Reserve. I'm not a huge fan of 1792 personally, but it has a lot of rye in the mashbill (which just goes to show you - mashbill is but one small piece of the puzzle!)
    Gary
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain

Novice

Know of any legit stores downriver besides Mac's in wyandotte?

Guru

I don't (I left about the time I was of legal age to buy ). Richnimrod could give you some pointers - I know there is some place in Dearborn on Michigan Ave that had a decent selection, but not sure where some of the best spots are.
    Gary

Novice

I look forward to hearing from the wise oldnimrod