Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Virtuoso

Re: K&L removes the feline from the poke

The comments in that post only make sense for drinkers who are more concerned about what others see them drinking. The rest of us know the difference between an everyday pour and a special occasion bottle, though as BBB and Gary point out the consumption quantities make that distinction a bit less of a concern for whiskey vs. beer or wine. Sounds to me like K&L is just looking to move more mid/lower shelf bottles. Keep in mind that they are a retailer.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Enthusiast

K&L has kind of backed themselves into a corner. They built a big following but can't get the allocations they used (nobody can). The American whiskey shelves there are barren, filled with craft distillers and NDPs. The time when people are freaking out about OWA is already here. K&L's OWA barrel selection showed up last week sold out in hours and the Henry McKenna selection they emailed about yesterday is almost gone. I love the blog they run, but currently they are using it to sell the only things they can get, even Old Crow.

Guru

They've got Old Crow Reserve listed as "this is the value-priced mixer you've been dreaming of", who writes this stuff?

Enthusiast

K&L removes the feline from the poke

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    They've got Old Crow Reserve listed as "this is the value-priced mixer you've been dreaming of", who writes this stuff?
    I'd love to know what it would say were you the author, Squire.
    Jon

Guru

That ain't the subject of my dreams Jon.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by compliance View Post
    ... using it to sell the only things they can get, even Old Crow.
    Makes me glad we dont seem to have any real problems with supply here in TN. At least if something is out, I can always find something else I like or really want to try. Yesterday my local store still had a giant display of MM (750 and 1.75) on sale even. I picked up another just cause the price is so low. Being a newbie has its benefits... there is still a lot of good stuff I havent even tried yet.
    Last edited by AGarrison; 06-16-2013 at 04:45.
    http://whiskeylist.blogspot.com/ downloadable spreadsheet of over 2000 North American Whiskies

Virtuoso

My feeling is that mr Driscoll is speaking from his experience and not from a desire to push certain products using his blog. I think the price per serving is a reason why people are ok hunting expensive whisky bottles especially if your mentality is to stock a few nice things on the bar that will sit there looking good for a few years or to give as gifts or to bunker. For The everyday pours you also dont need to summon the salesman. For a $23 bottle of booze I can just take a chance on this one or that one. When people become mature in a hobby, they tend to appreciate the "value items". I see it with wine all the time in the restaurant. It's the newbies that look for the namedropping bottles. It shows they know somethin. My 2 cents
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    When people become mature in a hobby, they tend to appreciate the "value items". I see it with wine all the time in the restaurant. It's the newbies that look for the namedropping bottles. It shows they know somethin. My 2 cents
    SB Exhibit A: Sir Squire

¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    When people become mature in a hobby, they tend to appreciate the "value items". I see it with wine all the time in the restaurant. It's the newbies that look for the namedropping bottles.
    The Restaurant Man makes a cogent observation.