Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Appears the Maker's shortage is real...

I should think the 46 already aging on the staves will remain that brand because the wood influence could not be undone. One wonders why they fiddled with a second line in the first place.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    One thing I've noticed; nobody has mentioned Makers 46. Do they bottle enough of it to really affect the regular MM supply. I see MM46 in almost every store. I don't know if it's a hit (are they selling a lot). I even wondered if the shortage would make it go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I should think the 46 already aging on the staves will remain that brand because the wood influence could not be undone. One wonders why they fiddled with a second line in the first place.
    Don't know what sales are for 46, but I can't imagine they're close to standard MM. Seems like the obvious move would be to limit the amount of whiskey going to 46 in order to keep MM supplies up. Then again, they may also be concerned about losing facings with a lack of 46 in the pipeline. Anyone have any insight?
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Advanced Taster

The irrational conspiracy theorist in me believes: Makers is intentionally creating a shortage to "prove" that there is a limited supply. Then they can drop the proof to 84 in a few months without the outrage and media attention. Problem solved, profits up!

Okay, back to reality. If you can't find Makers, buy a Weller.
    Rye whiskey makes the sun set faster.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by soad View Post
    Okay, back to reality. If you can't find Makers, buy a Weller.
    Don't forget Larceny. Only $20 around here.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    Don't forget Larceny. Only $20 around here.
    It is not available in Indiana. However, I bought a bottle in KY. I have an extra rebate form that is good until 8/15/13. It is good for $10 on a 750 ml or $20 on a 1.75 L. I would be happy to mail it to someone if they would like to use it. You have to provide the UPC and receipt. I believe it is only valid in certain states, probably those where you can buy it. PM if you would like it. First come, first serve.

Guru

Already used both of ours or I would take you up on that!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by mosugoji64 View Post
    Don't know what sales are for 46, but I can't imagine they're close to standard MM. Seems like the obvious move would be to limit the amount of whiskey going to 46 in order to keep MM supplies up. Then again, they may also be concerned about losing facings with a lack of 46 in the pipeline. Anyone have any insight?
    Imagine it's more like "not sure what profit margins are on M46?". For the difference in retail price between the two products they are surely making more on M46, and would be fools to kill that gravy train.

Advanced Taster

For what it's worth, my local Costco has lowered the price on their MM 1.75s by $1 from $42.49 to $41.49. Could just be a holiday thing though.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Plenty of other stuff out there.
    Although speaking with an owner today and he said little or no standard BT is currently available. Now that may be just limited to Georgia distribution and I expect increased holiday demand is playing a role but it seems to be starting to be a significant issue.

then again the shelves are hardly bare at the moment! So something is available, just may not be what you want right at the moment.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Although speaking with an owner today and he said little or no standard BT is currently available. Now that may be just limited to Georgia distribution and I expect increased holiday demand is playing a role but it seems to be starting to be a significant issue.

then again the shelves are hardly bare at the moment! So something is available, just may not be what you want right at the moment.
    We are swimming in BT in Columbus,...Bourbon is not a huge seller in Columbus...
    Last edited by ryanc; 12-24-2013 at 14:06.