Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Appears the Maker's shortage is real...

Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    When shortages first come to light around here, they are generally a few weeks/months off. The news comes down from someone with knowledge of the supply chain. It takes some time for the shortages to make their way down to every state and retailer. Distributors in some states may not be affected by the shortage.

And makers shortages are not the same as btac/pappy/4rlimited shortages. A shortage of makers may just be in one or two sizes for a few weeks.
    Enthusiast aside, you would have to assume customers are loyal to the brand to some extent. That loyalty likely ends when you make 2 or 3 stops to your local shop and can't find. You pick something of similar price and potentially find something you like more. Don't see why you'd come back even when the product does.

Guru

I doubt the average customer would leave empty handed.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I doubt the average customer would leave empty handed.
    Exactly. And should you happen upon something that tastes different or better...why go back to the old brand.

Connoisseur

I think maybe you two don't understand what loyalty means. I have a friend who's a loyal Budweiser drinker, he won't touch anything else - ever! No Bud in the store? Drive to the next store. Repeat, as necessary. To him, nothing is better or worth trying. It's not the quality of the product that matters, it's the integrity/identity of the drinker. That's the power of advertising.
    Last edited by MauiSon; 12-27-2013 at 02:12.

Guru

Oh I'm sure there are a number of things I may not understand or the study of which exceeds my level of patience. I do believe the chap who goes in to pick up his monthly handle of mixer will not be deterred because they're out of Old Crow. He will leave with something else and advertizing doesn't enter into the decision.

Enthusiast

He will leave with something else and advertizing doesn't enter into the decision.
    Advertising enters the decision if the chap sees more than one acceptable replacement (probably same price). Given alternatives, he will likely choose the more recognizable brand (i.e. the one who`s advertising sticks in his head).
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

Guru

Quite so but bottom shelfers don't receive much of the advertizing budget. I think it more likely the choice would hinge on what brand his father or other male antecedent drank. That or the choice in question was on sale.

Disciple

Quite so but bottom shelfers don't receive much of the advertizing budget. I think it more likely the choice would hinge on what brand his father or other male antecedent drank. That or the choice in question was on sale.

sale prices only affect me if it is something I know I like, or something I wanted to try anyway. I dont think I've ever picked up anything on sale that was unknown, just because it was on sale

But, I am an odd duck

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    sale prices only affect me if it is something I know I like, or something I wanted to try anyway. I dont think I've ever picked up anything on sale that was unknown, just because it was on sale

But, I am an odd duck
    I don't think you're an odd duck. I won't buy anything simply because it's on sale. Either I want it or I don't, which is why salesmen hate me.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Quote Originally Posted by MauiSon View Post
    I think maybe you two don't understand what loyalty means. I have a friend who's a loyal Budweiser drinker, he won't touch anything else - ever! No Bud in the store? Drive to the next store. Repeat, as necessary. To him, nothing is better or worth trying. It's not the quality of the product that matters, it's the integrity/identity of the drinker. That's the power of advertising.

Beer cigarettes soda and vehicles have the most loyal customer base of any industry that I can think of.