Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 143
  1. #31
    Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,814

    Re: Appears the Maker's shortage is real...

    Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    On allotment means that there is still a limited amount of supply but they are rationing it. Before I could order 5 pallots of makers in 1.75Liters if i wanted to. Makers is never discounted in Kentucky on the wholesale level, so it makes no sense to buy more than 14 days worth. Sams and CostCo buy by the pallet with everything in the store. A pallet might be 2 or 3 months worth for them. They wont see a shortage until they go to reorder in a month or two.
    Thanks Eric. I see what you are saying. And, I fully understand that what I see today may not necessarily be the case in a few months. I respect your opinion because you work where the rubber meets the road between distributors and retailers. You obviously see market forces at a much different level than the consumer. Who makes the decision on allotments? The wholesale distributors?

    So, what do you see happening? Do you expect less MM at higher prices? Do you see some market (consumer) shift from MM as a result?

    Wainwright...I agree with what you say about branding. I know guys that always order MM when at restaurants or bars because that is what they know and it is safe. They also consider MM their go-to-brand because that's what they always drink. I see guys in liquor stores walk straight in and pick up JD or MM and don't stop to look at anything else.

  2. #32
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    2,575

    Re: Appears the Maker's shortage is real...

    i see it permanently raising prices. if supplies are low, prices will rise. if 5 years down the road, supply catches up, do you think theyd really lower prices if people show that theyre willing to pay $5 (or more) more now than they were paying? Makers was already overpriced for what it was anyway. so, I dont care. other distillers will take up the slack, and hopefully (for them) show those customers that thers other god stuff out there.

  3. #33

    Appears the Maker's shortage is real...

    Allotments are determined by distributor and based loosely on sales. Other factors play in but they keep the scorecard a secret.

    If they stop production of 1.75L, that equates to a price increase but a good chance at loosing "coveted" facings. Im guessing they will not stop production but instead slowly release them to keep facings.

    It's about time for a price increase on beam and makers. Most of the other beam brand products have seen one. It's about time the whiskey does too.

    The reason you are seeing higher woodford pricing is because Everything from BF took an increase AND they lowered the high tier level discounts. We used to get 3 free cases of 750s for buying 30 cases of woodford. Now we have to buy 33 cases.

  4. #34
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    123

    Re: Appears the Maker's shortage is real...

    Shelves are flush in Tampa Bay 1.75 and 750s

  5. #35
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    227

    Re: Appears the Maker's shortage is real...

    Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    I have noticed prices are changing even at the big retailers. In Indy, Sam's sold WR for $24.99 for the longest time and then bam, overnight, it jumped to $28.99. They are starting to stock more WT101, BT and Crown. Costco continues to sell WR for$23.99 and MM.
    I just came from Costco and Sam's on the NW side of Indy. Costco had a near-full pallet of Maker's 1.75Ls on the endcap for $42.49. They also had a full pallet up near the ceiling. Sam's was the same price and had a near-full pallet on the floor. I got distracted and forgot to look up above to see if they had a spare. Costco has raised the price on Woodford to $24.49.

  6. #36
    Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,814

    Re: Appears the Maker's shortage is real...

    Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    Allotments are determined by distributor and based loosely on sales. Other factors play in but they keep the scorecard a secret.

    If they stop production of 1.75L, that equates to a price increase but a good chance at loosing "coveted" facings. Im guessing they will not stop production but instead slowly release them to keep facings.

    It's about time for a price increase on beam and makers. Most of the other beam brand products have seen one. It's about time the whiskey does too.

    The reason you are seeing higher woodford pricing is because Everything from BF took an increase AND they lowered the high tier level discounts. We used to get 3 free cases of 750s for buying 30 cases of woodford. Now we have to buy 33 cases.
    This is interesting. So you are seeing a 10% increase on your costs for Woodford? Sorry to ask a silly question but what is "facings?"

  7. #37
    Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,814

    Re: Appears the Maker's shortage is real...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackinbox View Post
    I just came from Costco and Sam's on the NW side of Indy. Costco had a near-full pallet of Maker's 1.75Ls on the endcap for $42.49. They also had a full pallet up near the ceiling. Sam's was the same price and had a near-full pallet on the floor. I got distracted and forgot to look up above to see if they had a spare. Costco has raised the price on Woodford to $24.49.
    Thanks! So, the real question is "did you buy anything?"

  8. #38

    Appears the Maker's shortage is real...

    Not quite 10% on woodford but close. Final price increase to retail price will be around 10%.

    And facings are related to a certain item on shelves. Chances are most places have at least two facings of each size (750, 1L, and 1.75) for makers. A total of 6 facings. (Or 8 if you consider the fact that 1.75s take up twice the space of 750s).

    If you take away four facings of makers mark, most stores will replace those facings with another product rather than further space out the smaller sizes. Less facings means less chance for the consumer to notice the product.

  9. #39
    Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,814

    Re: Appears the Maker's shortage is real...

    Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    Not quite 10% on woodford but close. Final price increase to retail price will be around 10%.

    And facings are related to a certain item on shelves. Chances are most places have at least two facings of each size (750, 1L, and 1.75) for makers. A total of 6 facings. (Or 8 if you consider the fact that 1.75s take up twice the space of 750s).

    If you take away four facings of makers mark, most stores will replace those facings with another product rather than further space out the smaller sizes. Less facings means less chance for the consumer to notice the product.
    Gotcha! Thanks! This makes sense now.

  10. #40
    Taster
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    57

    Re: Appears the Maker's shortage is real...

    Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    I wish 20-30 cases were the top level deals in ky. With many products lines, it is 100-150 cases. A few times a year, most brands will offer their entire portfolios at deeper discounts than normal top levels but those might be 500 case packages. Luckily most distributors allow co-ops and we can combine buying power.
    In NYS, normal top level deals are often between 30-50 cases, although 75 case levels exist from time to time on certain products. However, there's probably only a handful of locations in the state that can manage 75 case level volume (our state laws prevent multi-store chains, big-box retailers, and grocery stores from selling wine/liquor). Our store is mid-sized in NYS, but probably considered small in some other states. The only products we really buy 50 cases at a time are Barton's Vodka (aka the cheapest vodka available in the state $12/1.75L), Svedka Vodka (the cheapest glass bottle vodka at $19.99/1.75L), and Smirnoff Vodka.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. BT shortage?
    By BFerguson in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-19-2012, 16:22
  2. Rye shortage?
    By leebo in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-26-2012, 06:26
  3. Weller re-appears on the shelves
    By jburlowski in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-11-2008, 19:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top