Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Looking for a quick answer.....

I found a bottle of GTS @ 142.5 proof. First time I've ever actually seen one in person. I live in S SL, and nothing like this EVER makes it down here. An amazing find for me. Here's the rub: the store wants $110 for it. I see online it retails for $80, so the price is obviously quite high. I will probably never see one again down here. What to do? I am leaving here to go home in a few hours which is why I am looking for some quick advice. By the way, they also have a 10y ORVW that they were willing to sell as a package "deal" for $180. Yet another juice to never see these parts. I'm bummed. Many thanks to anyone's help!

Guru

Re: Looking for a quick answer.....

It depends how much you want it. Stagg goes for $150 in small stores around here and I won't touch them at that price. ORVW retails for $35-$45 and I love it, but I won't pay more than $45 for it. It's just an older version of OWA.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Guru

If you want it buy it. I will waste far more money on average food while traveling than I'll regret having overpaid for a whisky I would not have otherwise been able to obtain.

Enthusiast

Get the Stagg. If that's going to be your only foreseeable opportunity do it. The markup isn't that bad. There's only one place that sells it for less than $90 around me. Pass the ORVW 10 if it's over $45.

Wow!! Thanks all!! Looks like I'm gonna' have a "Stagg" party !!

(See what I did there???)

A toast to all of your help

Guru

I'd definitely pick up the Stagg, but they seem to be awfully proud of the ORVW 10 (which I also really like, but not at that price).
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

In the 1950s when Old Stagg was a popular brand their print ads showed a stagg in evening dress hosting a party which image was copied by the editor of a newly found magazine named Playboy.

Squire, you are a man of infinite wisdom.....

Still having a Stagg party, sans the dress. ( Although, I drink enuff of the stuff.....?)

Guru

For members of younger generations evening dress for gentlemen a half century ago meant formal attire, usually black bow tie and a tuxedo with shawl lapels.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    For members of younger generations evening dress for gentlemen a half century ago meant formal attire, usually black bow tie and a tuxedo with shawl lapels.
    You may also have to explain what Playboy is for the real youngins who grew up with the internet
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins