Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Signed Bottle of Buffalo Trace.

I got a bottle of Buffalo Trace signed by Harlen Wheatley at my local sams club. It was mixed in the case of unsigned bottles. Wondering if they add these to all cases of BT? How common is it? Also noticed all of the bottles at Sams Club had the seal that said "Hand Selected For Missouri". Any idea about what this means? Here are a couple of pics.

IMG_20130615_201108.jpgIMG_20130615_201143.jpg

Chances are the distributor or SAMs club buyer had BT select a couple of barrels for them. Might help the distributor move BT at a faster rate since it is a single barrel.

As much love as we give BT overall, their flagship product is not a volume mover. Even here in central KY, BT is not in our top 25 bourbons in terms of sales. We sell more blantons and bookers at 2.5x the price.

Enthusiast

Re: Signed Bottle of Buffalo Trace.

Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    As much love as we give BT overall, their flagship product is not a volume mover. Even here in central KY, BT is not in our top 25 bourbons in terms of sales. We sell more blantons and bookers at 2.5x the price.
    Even here where we have all private barrel selections of BT we often overlook it as we work our way through so many fine bourbon offerings. But when I venture back to a BT pour, I realize what a bargain it is. This is a damn fine bourbon .. and it is most reasonably priced. It's a big mover here (They just ordered 18 barrels!) because the customers have been introduced to it. The store here has several people on the floor to assist .. always .. and hand selling is the norm. I think that has everything to do with the amount of premium bourbons, ryes and others .. including wines .. that move here.

Hey, CBMC, That signed bottle is a nice catch .. especially at Sams Club. A diamond in the rough.
    Jon

Enthusiast

Very cool. The only time I've seen these bottles was at the distillery gift shop itself. I wasn't too big into buying signed bottles, but they had a Julian-signed bottle of PVW 20 at the regular retail price which I picked up. This was a couple of years ago when you could still get PVW though. :-/

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Harlen probably made a appearance at a local store and signed a bunch of bottles and this got mixed in with regular stock. I've often seen signed bottles on shelf after a master distiller/brand ambassador made a local stop.

Virtuoso

I feel that the whiskey in the signed bottles always tastes best. So I drink it first :smile:
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Disciple

I've seen them at Bardstown area stores, usually after one of the festivals. I'd say finding one at Sam's is pretty unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    I feel that the whiskey in the signed bottles always tastes best. So I drink it first :smile:
    I've got a Four Roses Yellow Label signed by Jim. Should I drink it straight or in a cocktail ?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Shuboy View Post
    I've got a Four Roses Yellow Label signed by Jim. Should I drink it straight or in a cocktail ?
    Shoot it............
    Jim

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by CBMC View Post
    I got a bottle of Buffalo Trace signed by Harlen Wheatley at my local sams club. It was mixed in the case of unsigned bottles. Wondering if they add these to all cases of BT? How common is it? Also noticed all of the bottles at Sams Club had the seal that said "Hand Selected For Missouri". Any idea about what this means? Here are a couple of pics.

IMG_20130615_201108.jpgIMG_20130615_201143.jpg
    I love how the label says hand selected for a State, and not a store. Wonder if these master distillers shake their heads at time when the marketing department shows up in their office.