Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Disciple

If you like ____ you will probably like ____

I often hear and read about comparisons of various bourbons and ryes where someone says "If you like ___ you will probably like ____. I assume because the mashbills, distillation and a few other factors are similar.

Two examples that come to mind are comparison of Van Winkle and Weller 12, and comparison of Blanton's and Ancient Ancient Age 10 Year. I have never had Van Winkle so I can't comment on that comparison but I have had Blanton's and AAA10 and I do taste some similarities.

For those of us who prefer to not drop big bucks on ever increasingly over priced bourbon, it would be great if more experienced bourbon enthusiasts could guide us to cheaper alternatives.

Enthusiast

Re: If you like ____ you will probably like ____

AAA10 is VERY similar to ETL. I have a decent palate, and it took me several glasses of each to be able to identify the difference, going back and forth between the two. Same distillery and mashbill for both.

One that's a little stranger because it's two different distilleries with very slightly different mashbills is EWSB10 and ER17 from the BTAC. After both were open a couple of months, the Evan 1B tasted almost the same as the 3 times more expensive 2011 ER17. No guarantee that this is consistent from release to release, or even bottle to bottle, as these are single barrels, but interesting none the less.

Guru

You are correct about many of the pairings being based on mashbills/distillery/age, as well as folks experience. What I WISH I would have done is bought a lot of 200 mL bottles of some bourbons at the low end of the price range, and then blind taste those. You can pick up 4 or 5 of those for the price of one 750mL. Not everything is available in that size, but you can find a fair amount. I've found that I like EW black label as well as bourbons that are twice the price - along with OGD BIB and OF. You can find on this site things that are similar (check out the "Whiskey Tree" - that gives an excellent breakdown of which labels come from where on a lot of them, as well as mashbills where we know!), although the only way you'll know if you like - say AAA 10 Star as well as ETL - is to try them. The way I look at it is - who cares if my OGD 114 doesn't taste like a more expensive brand; if I get as much enjoyment out of it as I do a bottle that is half-again more expensive, good on me!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

I'll give you an inverted selection if you will. I really don't care much for high rye mash bills, but Recently i learned i do like Rit BIB. Go figure.
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Meruck View Post
    I'll give you an inverted selection if you will. I really don't care much for high rye mash bills, but Recently i learned i do like Rit BIB. Go figure.
    Ritt is probably the most bourbony rye I can think of off hand. The mashbill is "barely legal." Even so, that is about twice as much rye as a high rye bourbon. As you say, "Go figure."
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Connoisseur

But, back on topic: If you like Baker's and/or KC, you may like Kirkland's. At $20 L, the equivalent of $15 per 750, it is a 7 YO, 103 proof value pour.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Guru

Wow, that is pretty much $15 for Bakers. Not bad.

The whiskey tree was mentioned and it's a must read, but don't read too much into it. For example WSR, OWA, and W12 are all the same mashbill, same age (first two), same distillery and they all have very different flavor profiles. Also, personal taste varies quite a bit. You'd be hard pressed to find more than a few people who don't like W12 and I'm one of them, but I didn't know that until I tried it. You can find alot of info and opinions here but you never really know until you try it.

If you still don't want to drop the cash on a bottle just to try it then ask some of the "old timers" around here that seem to have similar taste preferences as you.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

If you like Wild Turkey 101 (or, are disappointed with it's recent iteration), you will probably like Old Ezra 7yr 101 (or, Virgin Bourbon if you are close to one of the few uber-control states that carry it).
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

smknjoe makes a great point - the whiskey tree gives you some insight, but I'm with him (I love OWA - not a fan of W12 - but will buy W12 to mingle with OWA).

Sometimes you can sort out folks who may have a similar taste profile as you. I've found some reviewers/bloggers line up fairly close to my tastes, while others don't. Even then, not everything they really like hits me just right. At the end of the day, you've got to try it (and ideally try it a few times on different days, as our tasters vary).

Finally - make friends with folks who share the passion. A group were everyone brings a couple bottles to a party is a great way to try several whiskies as well as meet new friends!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

For years I have maintained the quality is the same across the board and I'll use Buffalo Trace as an example. On any given day the whisky running off the still may be eventually bottled as 4 year old 80 proof Benchmark selling for $16.00 per family size which works out to about $6.80 for a 750.

Or it might be bottled at 8-9 years as one of the premiums that sell for $49.95 per 750.

Or at 9-14 years barrel proof in the Antique Collection for $79.95.

The difference is the barrel's age and location in the warehouse(s). The costlier bottles come from selected barrels that are either batched or bottled singly. We pay more for the extra aging and careful selection but the quality level is the same because it was all the same whisky in the beginning.