Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mint Julep

Enthusiast

Mint Julep

Hey Guys!

The Mint Julep is not very common in Germany, probably only the readers of Scott Fitzgerald know about this drink, haha!

I tried it yesterday in this way:

3 oz of Bourbon (I took OGD)

1 splash of sugar syrup (I tried normal sugar as well)

1 Strain of Mint.

Ice

I put a bit of bourbon, the sugar and the mints in a glass, muddled them, waited for about 5-10 minutes, then added crushed ice and the rest of the bourbon. I left the mint in the glass, but decorated with another strain.

Is this okay, or totally wrong? And do you have some tips?

Thanks in advance, Sven
    "With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue, you get nothin' done"

Guru

Re: Mint Julep

That's about as good a recipe as any Sven.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

How did it taste? If you liked it, I'd say the recipe is good, if not, maybe a bit of tweaking will get it how you like it...... and that's part of the fun

Connoisseur

The recipe sounds good, and OGD is a good choice. For me, the execution of a good mint julep depends largely on the quality of the crushed ice. The stuff that is dispensed from fridge doors it inadequate. I usually use a wooden mallet and a Lewis bag to pulverize a few cups of ice whenever I am making a batch. This results in fine, dry, snow-like ice that can be packed tightly into a cup. There are other little details that can take the drink to the next level: a proper metal cup, a bouquet of mint as a garnish, and a small straw nestled in the bouquet so that you have to poke your nose into the mint to take a sip. Finally, for people who aren't familiar with the drink I like to offer a piece of advice to increase the level of enjoyment: Don't drink it like a shooter, but drink it quickly!

Enthusiast

I didn't use crushed ice. Good tip, thanks. I will attached a pic. Taste was very good, very refreshing. Next one will be the Old Fashioned.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7454_10151422747646316_1446550508_n.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	15752
    "With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue, you get nothin' done"

Connoisseur

The crushed ice is essential for the ideal temp and dilution! Here's what I use to make it, but you can also just use a towel and any sturdy object with which to pound the ice:
    http://www.cocktailkingdom.com/produ...x_0000_ckx.htm
    http://www.cocktailkingdom.com/produ...x_0000_ck_.htm

If you are placing an order, you should order a couple of these while you are at it:
    http://www.cocktailkingdom.com/produ...x_0000_nik.htm

Finally, that doesn't look like spearmint, which is what I would recommend for muddling/garnish.

Guru

For me the effect of the end product should almost be a snowcone type appearance. My preference in fact is for something clsoe to a hawaiian shave ice consistency although that can be hard to acheive. The metal cup is nice because it takes on a frosted appearance. Also as noted it is not a drink to luxuriate over as it will quickly become diluted and the metal cups tend to be on the small side so you can finish it up quick and make another!

I have an ice crusher that does a decent job. This video gives you some sense of how to beat the ice into submission if you decide to go that route!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJV-O1e10z8

The poetry you can take or leave as you desire!

Another resource from a fellow SBer, Jason.

But I think my favorite is the one by Jeffrey Morgenthaler. The more fine the ice the better for me!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

If you enjoy it that's what really matters. Your ingredient list is on point and true to style.

Aside from what others have alreaday said, get a metal pewter cup, it really makes a difference. Also get your other sprigs of mint and give em a slap and garnish the top. That way when you use a straw you will have your nose in the springs and get a nice full effect.

I've already posted this video before, but this is how I make mine...
    Visit the search for glory in the bottle: http://imbibehour.blogspot.com/
    My video reviews http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...16DDF465CBC112

Enthusiast

I've found that the type and freshness of the mint sprigs plays a huge role in making a good mint julep ... a drink I despised up until this year. My wife grows a wide variety of mints ... and each imparts a different flavor to the julep ... none necessarily better, just different. The key ... cut and muddle ...
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Advanced Taster

I agree with the recipes submitted above. Don't be stingy on the mint. I also muddle the mint with the bourbon and the bsp of rich syrup and let it sit for 5min (muddle a couple of times during those 5min).

What bourbons do you prefer except of OGD? I really like BT in this cocktail, would pick it over MM all day long. Haven't tried it with OGD yet.