Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mint Julep

Guru

Re: Mint Julep

Quote Originally Posted by ewj View Post
    I agree with the recipes submitted above. Don't be stingy on the mint. I also muddle the mint with the bourbon and the bsp of rich syrup and let it sit for 5min (muddle a couple of times during those 5min).

What bourbons do you prefer except of OGD? I really like BT in this cocktail, would pick it over MM all day long. Haven't tried it with OGD yet.
    I tend to like a softer wheater in mine but not wedded to MM by any means. In fact I prefer W12, OWA or the always dependable SB blend of course. Haven't tried it yet but Larceny might work well also.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

I think the secret (if you love mint) is the make a mint infused simple syrup ala Jason Pyle of sourmashmanifesto.com. Make a 2:1 or 1:1 simple syrup, then throw in some ice to cool it off, then throw in 7-10 mint leaves and let it steep in the fridge for 24 hours. It will make a fantastic Mint Julep. My wife likes them made with Makers Mark the best. I prefer OGD 114.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by weller_tex View Post
    I think the secret (if you love mint) is the make a mint infused simple syrup ala Jason Pyle of sourmashmanifesto.com. Make a 2:1 or 1:1 simple syrup, then throw in some ice to cool it off, then throw in 7-10 mint leaves and let it steep in the fridge for 24 hours. It will make a fantastic Mint Julep. My wife likes them made with Makers Mark the best. I prefer OGD 114.
    Weller ... do you muddle and/or crush the mint to release the oils from the cellular structure prior to or while in the simple syrup? Seems to me it would help the infusion.
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bllygthrd View Post
    Weller ... do you muddle and/or crush the mint to release the oils from the cellular structure prior to or while in the simple syrup? Seems to me it would help the infusion.
    According to Jason..and I verified this myself you don't crush it as it releases some bitter notes. I just lightly muddle it in and then let it steep overnight in the fridge for 24 hours. When I go to make it I put a little syrup in the bottom of the cup then muddle in about 6 fresh mint leaves and coat the inside of the cup. Then it is ice, bourbon, more ice, a tad more syrup, then some mint on top.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

It's not as good as a freshly made Julep, but I've had varying degrees of success following this recipe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAxSdZShGto

I've tried it with Makers Mark, Buffalo Trace and Nelson County (Heaven Hill product) and all have worked well. My personal preference is for a sweeter Julep, so I usually add the entire cup of 1:1 sugar syrup to a 700ml bottle. It generally keeps in the freezer for up to 3 months, and means I can enjoy a Julep any time with a minimum of fuss. It's also great to take to parties as all you need is ice and a cup and you're away.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by weller_tex View Post
    According to Jason..and I verified this myself you don't crush it as it releases some bitter notes. I just lightly muddle it in and then let it steep overnight in the fridge for 24 hours. When I go to make it I put a little syrup in the bottom of the cup then muddle in about 6 fresh mint leaves and coat the inside of the cup. Then it is ice, bourbon, more ice, a tad more syrup, then some mint on top.
    OK ... makes sense ... I'll try it. Thanks
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Connoisseur

I don't usually like Mint hence never really enjoyed a Mint Julep. However, I have since last weekend found a good way to balance the Mint flavor to being enjoyable for me with a local honey product. The honey with the mint has really worked well for my palate. I originally thought it was the Woodford Reserve I used on the first try, I have since tried it with standard BT and FRSmB and they are all enjoyable!

So, this is what I did:
    1. Dissolved a teaspoon (tried different amounts and they're all good) of local honey with an ounce of filtered drinking water.
    2. Poured half an ounce of his honey syrup into a regular Old Fashioned glass/tumbler (I don't have a mint julep cup).
    3. Plucked about 5-6 decent sized mint leaves and muddled them in the honey syrup in glass.
    4. Filled glass with crushed ice.
    5. Filled the glass until almost full with WR, BT, or FRSmB.
    6. Topped off with the remainder of the honey syrup that was left over.