Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thoughts on Early Times

Was at a bar in Chicago having some Angel's Envy. I noticed a bottle that was turned the wrong way and asked what it was. The bartender said "Early Times. That is good whiskey." So I said wth. Poor me some. I was shocked at how much I liked it. And at only $15 a bottle you cant beat that.

Disciple

Re: Thoughts on Early Times

sure you can.......every BIB on the shelf beats it at that price.

Connoisseur

There are two different Early Times available. The Early Times 354 bourbon was something I tried just because it was new. I think it's pretty good for a young 80 proof bourbon. The flavor reminds me of Cracker Jack carmel popcorn. The other version is "Kentucky whiskey" because they use some used barrels. I haven't tried any in a long time.

Disciple

I was underwhelmed with the ET 354 personally, and would take FR YL or several BIBs over it. I haven't had regular ET in a long time.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

You would be amazed as to how popular Early Times is in central Ky., especially the "Kentucky Whiskey" aged in used barrels. A very big seller.

Connoisseur

And Southern Indiana. My folks ALWAYS had a handle in the liquor cabinet, and last time I was home there was one open.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Disciple

its popular in KY because its a recognizable name on the bottom shelf, and its $10 a 750. its cheap, but its also bland

Guru

Traditionally, Early Times was the second line (less age, lower proof, lower cost) for Old Forester much like Cabin Still was for Old Fitzgerald. It still fulfills that role today so I evaluate it for what it is rather than what it's not. It is a solid session whisky in a lighter crowd pleasing style that retains the attributes of traditional Bourbon flavor and characteristics.

The Early Times of today is an example of how blind tasting often reveals more than labels.

It is always nice to post about a wiskey I have recently tried and get a lot of the knowledge and the background stories you guys have. I agree that it isnt the best I have ever had. But yes, as a cheap $15 bottle, I have no problem enjoying it. I certainly am looking forward to picking up some BIBs while in Kentucky for Bourbon Festival. We do not have a large selectin of BIBs in VA since we are state run. I think I have had one.

Advanced Taster

Is it sold in a glass bottle anywhere? I'm pretty sure I've only seen it in plastic.