Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 06/2013: The Balvenie

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Lackluster is exactly what I was thinking.
    Well put.
    The only stuff that isn't lackluster (tun 1401, and to lesser extent portwood 21yo) is very expensive. So, of the distilleries with readily available single malts, Balvenie remains the most under-represented in my collection (one bottle out of >100).

Guru

Yeah would love to try the tun 1401, but just not in the cards at tht price.

Guru

I am not really a Scotch drinker anymore, but I do have a bottle of The Balvenie 15-year old single barrel that I've been nursing for quite a few years. I agree, it is a wonderful whisky and it gives me joy every time I try it. It gives real meaning to the term "honey barrel".

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

What I was saying is the basic whisky is fine it's the distillery efforts to improve it with finishing that have produced lackluster results.

I must have gotten a good single barrel (in fact it's 16 years old rather than the minimum 15) because my bottle of Balvenie 15 is one of the best vanilla and honey bombs I've tasted. I think Balvenie might be perfect for people with sweet tooths like me.

I am kind of surprised by the amount of vitriol toward this one regarding pricing. Sure some of their expressions, like the 17 year ones, are on the spendier range comparable to others in the market, but the 12, 14 and 15 seem pretty much inline with others. But to say that Tun1401 or the 21 year are expensive seems a little uninformed. I mean compare Macallan 21 year pretty sure that retails for a considerable amount more than the 21 Portwood. And doesn't tun1401 always contain some rather old cask(s) and always get highly rated? I just remember reading something about casks that span a number of decades. So to complain about that being about $300, which does by the way always seem to sell out immediately - I watch at least one shop and it is typically gone within hours of them listing it - doesn't seem fair, but it is hard to compare to others so maybe that is where it comes from.

Just a couple of quick cost comparisons:
    Highland Park Loki 15 year old $250
    Bruichladdich 21 year (numerous expressions) $200
    Glenmorangie Signet 80 proof $200 (not that Portwood is much higher in proof)
    Knockando 25 year $230

So there is some better bargains judging by age, as I don't have experience with necessarily, but definitely some worse ones as well.

Not trying to defend the choice or their pricing just want to offer a different opinion or myself be enlightened.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    I am kind of surprised by the amount of vitriol toward this one regarding pricing. Sure some of their expressions, like the 17 year ones, are on the spendier range comparable to others in the market, but the 12, 14 and 15 seem pretty much inline with others. But to say that Tun1401 or the 21 year are expensive seems a little uninformed. I mean compare Macallan 21 year pretty sure that retails for a considerable amount more than the 21 Portwood. And doesn't tun1401 always contain some rather old cask(s) and always get highly rated? I just remember reading something about casks that span a number of decades. So to complain about that being about $300, which does by the way always seem to sell out immediately - I watch at least one shop and it is typically gone within hours of them listing it - doesn't seem fair, but it is hard to compare to others so maybe that is where it comes from.

Just a couple of quick cost comparisons:
    Highland Park Loki 15 year old $250
    Bruichladdich 21 year (numerous expressions) $200
    Glenmorangie Signet 80 proof $200 (not that Portwood is much higher in proof)
    Knockando 25 year $230

So there is some better bargains judging by age, as I don't have experience with necessarily, but definitely some worse ones as well.

Not trying to defend the choice or their pricing just want to offer a different opinion or myself be enlightened.

I have no horse in the race here, but I think that your examples also are of overpriced bottles. Here's another comparison:

Lag 16 $65
    Balvenie 17 peated cask $130

A bit more sobering, huh? On the other side of the coin, I consider their Caribbean cask one of the best values in scotch.

Edit: okay, maybe not one of the best values in scotch, but a fairly and competitively priced whisky.
    Last edited by bad_scientist; 06-22-2013 at 07:36.

Guru

In respect to price, Balvenie is somewhere in the middle from what I've seen. Plenty more exspensive bottles out there, and a fair amount cheaper. The thing about Balvenie, for me, is that the level of quality is always pretty consistent, so far as I've seen. An exception to this, in my opinion, would be the peated 17. I just did not care for it at all. But generally speaking, I feel like the price they charge is fair. I'd love for it to be cheaper, but that aint gonna happen.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    I have no horse in the race here, but I think that your examples also are of overpriced bottles. Here's another comparison:

Lag 16 $65
    Balvenie 17 peated cask $130

A bit more sobering, huh? On the other side of the coin, I consider their Caribbean cask one of the best values in scotch.

Edit: okay, maybe not one of the best values in scotch, but a fairly and competitively priced whisky.
    And Lag 16 at $65 good price...$80 here.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Guru

Lagavulin 16 is $85 here if you can find it.