Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 06/2013: The Balvenie

The carribean cask is really great, but my favorite has been the Madeira Cask 17 y.o. Figures the one I like was a limited offering they made years ago. But I have enough stored up in the closet to keep me going for a few years.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Lagavulin 16 is $85 here if you can find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    And Lag 16 at $65 good price...$80 here.

It's permanently on sale at a local store (which ships, in case anyone reading this is afflicted with even worse pricing). The price varies, but it's always $65 or a bit less. A real moderately sherried, peaty oasis in the desert of DC status symbol pricing.
    http://cellar.com/search.aspx?search_text=lagavulin

Enthusiast

The only Balvenie I've tried is the 12 year double wood. I find it very unrefined compared to other entry level sherried whiskeys. Pitting it against Glendronach 12 in a tasting was like leading it to the slaughter. If it weren't labeled a 12 year I would never believe it was. I also find the pricing strange because it it always costs either $42 or $65. Other scotches can also vary wildly in price, but usually there's some kind of spectrum. DW12 is either one or the other.

Guru
    Agreed that the 'Dronach 12 outshines the Balvenie 12's. To me, the best Balvenie value in recent years has been the TUN releases (unless you get a killer deal on a mispriced bottle or on sale).

Another expression I liked was the Cuban Selection 14 - somebody brought some back from France and that was an easy drinker to tickle the sweet tooth.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    the best Balvenie value in recent years has been the TUN releases
    Haha...when a $200+ bottle is a value, you must be living well! I've bought a couple, but they were at the high end of what I consider spending for any bottle.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    Haha...when a $200+ bottle is a value, you must be living well! I've bought a couple, but they were at the high end of what I consider spending for any bottle.
    didn't say it was a good value... just the "best value" out of the Balvenie range imho

and no, not livin' large neither ;-)

i do love the TUN1401#3 though...
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

I enjoy Balvenie for what it is...a competitively priced single malt with some sweeter and easier notes.

12 year DW - Entry level scotch...and can be bought for $30 around here.
    12 year Signature - A bit spicier and doesn't have the sweeter sherry influence. I dig it for $37.
    15 year Single Barrel - A very nicely balanced dram. I really like it, but it might be a bit overpriced around here at $64-70.
    17 year Madeira - One of the more complex Balvenie's out there. Good balance as well. I know where to get one for $90 around here and I keep debating whether or not to get it.
    17 Year Peat - I'm not a big big peat fan, but this one blends it well with the Speyside base. Not really my thing for $130, but it goes on sale around here for $75 every so often. That's a good price for it.
    21 Year Portwood - Very rich and you can really get the port influence. I've only had it once and I won't say that it's worth $200+, but it's a damn fine dram.
    TUN 1401 Batch 3 - Simply put...the finest whiskey I've ever tasted...bourbon, scotch or irish. It might even be better than any tequila I've ever had although it's hard to compare. I don't EVER pay $200+ for a bottle of anything. This is the first spirit of any kind that I've decided was worth it.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Advanced Taster

Wish I could find a Maderia Cask around here for that price! I haven't seen any here for a long time and my bunker is getting a little light on this one.

Guru

Wish I had any of those prices around here.

Guru

Somewhat higher around here as well.