Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Guru

Alcohol consumption by type/country

Not sure if this topic belongs here so please move as needed.

As expected, vodka is the clear leader but here's some statistics on consumption by type/country:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graph.../daily-chart-9

Bourbon/Rye didn't even make it on the list (ignored for whatever reason).
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Alcohol consumption by type/country

Interesting. I would have thought bourbon would have included a much bigger part. Especially with all the so called "shortages". With the popularity of bourbon here of late I wonder what this chart would look like in a few years assuming the trend of bourbon continues.

Enthusiast

Re: Alcohol consumption by type/country

It is an alarming statistics indeed. Think about the lives, health, families destroyed by this publicly accepted drug. Plus huuuge amounts of money poured in to the alcohol business; that money could be instead used for meaningful purposes.

I never understood how a person with any intelligence can pay to voluntarily poison himself/herself with alcohol.

And instead of anti-alcohol campaigns, like there are fortunatelly at least for tobacco, we have ads promoting drinking. What an example for the children and youths..

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Balcones Winston View Post
    It is an alarming statistics indeed. Think about the lives, health, families destroyed by this publicly accepted drug. Plus huuuge amounts of money poured in to the alcohol business; that money could be instead used for meaningful purposes.

I never understood how a person with any intelligence can pay to voluntarily poison himself/herself with alcohol.

And instead of anti-alcohol campaigns, like there are fortunatelly at least for tobacco, we have ads promoting drinking. What an example for the children and youths..
    UUUUUUUUMMMMMMM.......what??????
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Guru

The Philippines and gin? Who knew!

I guess that despite the Bourbon/American whiskey boom it is still a bit player on the world scene. Would have thought it might at least out sell tequila but I guess not unless it was not even considered as a category in this report.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balcones Winston View Post

Quote Originally Posted by oke&coke View Post
    UUUUUUUUMMMMMMM.......what??????
    I'm guessing he inadvertently forgot to hit the sarcafont button...

That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

The specific scotch whiskey seems a little odd, that's a bit like having Puerto Rican rum and not including all the other rum producers in the Caribbean.It would have been a bit more informative to put bourbon, scotch, canadian, and other whiskeys together for the scotch bubble. I don't think it'd change the ordering, but I have to think it'd be a significant increase.

Connoisseur

I always enjoy reading the comments, as does Winston. You'd think that The Economist would have more intelligent readers.

Guru

You joining a Seminary Winston?

Advanced Taster

For those who are curious, Winston has simply copied and pasted a comment from the article . . . a comment he posted under his alternate screen name Santa Maria. And just when we think he is trying to expose hyperbole, he will announce that he is leaving balcones to avoid both a life and afterlife full of brimstone.