Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Novice

Hello from Michigan

Hello everyone-

Typical introduction: been lurking around here for a while but need to start getting more involved. I've lived all around Metro Detroit and am currently residing in Ann Arbor, MI.

I was a Scotch drinker for a few years (and still dabble), but have been primarily focused on American Whiskey for the past few.

I've focused on getting to know the distilleries, their brands, histories, recipes, and flavor profiles. I've worked on blind tasting, getting used to spotting wheat vs rye, high rye vs low rye, and what differences in age and proof can do to a similar recipe. I've come a long way since I first go interested, but have a long way to go.

Michigan isn't the easiest state to be a Whisk(e)y nerd, but I've managed to make some friends and assemble a respectable collection.

I'm looking forward to participating more actively on SB. If anyone from Ann Arbor or anywhere in Michigan wants to connect, please reach out.

Cheers.

Dan

Guru

Re: Hello from Michigan

Hello Dan, welcome aboard, look forward to your contributions. Some of our members in your area regularly visit our chatroom and your welcome to join in the conversation. The chat icon is located on the lower left hand corner of your screen.

Virtuoso

Good Day Dan,

Welcome from another Michigan guy.

Best regards, Tony

Guru

Welcome aboard Dan.
    I see you are in Ann Arbor, Zingerman's Roadhouse has a few bourbons on their list.
    I live in Napoleon but Ypsilanti is home.
    ovh

Disciple

Welcome, Dan! Former Michigander here (born/raised in SE MI, downriver). Several great folks in your state - and one of the best things about this site is the chance to interact with people around the world! What are some of the bourbons you're into now (I try to avoid saying "favorite" because that is like picking which kid you like better )
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Welcome Dan! Being a whiskey guy in Michigan can be a challenge, but it's getting better by the month. Cheers!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    Welcome, Dan! Former Michigander here (born/raised in SE MI, downriver). Several great folks in your state - and one of the best things about this site is the chance to interact with people around the world! What are some of the bourbons you're into now (I try to avoid saying "favorite" because that is like picking which kid you like better )
    My "always around" bottles are OWA, FR Single Barrel, WT101, and Rittenhouse BIB. I do like wheated bourbons (but only with some extra age and proof), but am more partial to rye products. It's amazing how much your tastes can change early on, but at the moment I like Four Roses products most. I try to keep less than 10 bottles open (though it's not always easy), with at least one everyday pour from each distillery that I like, and a few premium bottles to mix it up.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Welcome Dan! Being a whiskey guy in Michigan can be a challenge, but it's getting better by the month. Cheers!
    Thanks Josh! It is indeed, I'm always out and about hunting, and have been doing a lot more "double takes" lately as more and more bottles seem to be getting picked up here. It always makes for more research as new marketing-driven products seem to be popping up by the month, but that's the fun part. We're also lucky as of the past couple years to have a few great bars around that have bottles you can't find in stores.

Cheers!
    Last edited by danieljforth; 06-07-2013 at 05:54.

Novice

Thanks everyone for the welcome. Cheers!

Guru

Dan welcome to SB from Livonia.

You may find this interesting.

http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/lcc_code/sr_lcc.asp

Enjoy!

Will