Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 221 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 2013

Quote Originally Posted by JPBoston View Post
    I'm definitely interested in trying those two I bolded (CEHT:SmB and ETL). I can get the CEHT here, but not ETL (hoping to rectifiy that during a trip to Cali next weekend).

I've heard the ETL is big on caramel... Were you able to detect any of that?

Any more in depth notes on the CEHT would be appreciated too.
    Unfortunately, I'm not experienced enough to detect a lot of the different things that I see others post. I'm really hoping that I'll be able to pick up on that soon. I can certainly tell what tastes good to me and I can detect things like heat, burn, spicy, sweet, bitter. At the very least I'm going to start writing notes down from here on out.

As for the ETL, I remember it being very spicy and bitter. Although I do like some high-rye bourbons like OGD, ETL was just a bit much for me. If you like spicy, high-rye bourbons then you should give it a try. I'll be curious to see what you think of it if you pick up a bottle.

CEHT had some initial heat and a nice complex finish. I wish I could provide with more detail than that, but I will say it's one of the better bourbons I've tasted to date.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Jackinbox View Post
    Unfortunately, I'm not experienced enough to detect a lot of the different things that I see others post. I'm really hoping that I'll be able to pick up on that soon. I can certainly tell what tastes good to me and I can detect things like heat, burn, spicy, sweet, bitter. At the very least I'm going to start writing notes down from here on out.

As for the ETL, I remember it being very spicy and bitter. Although I do like some high-rye bourbons like OGD, ETL was just a bit much for me. If you like spicy, high-rye bourbons then you should give it a try. I'll be curious to see what you think of it if you pick up a bottle.

CEHT had some initial heat and a nice complex finish. I wish I could provide with more detail than that, but I will say it's one of the better bourbons I've tasted to date.
    Thanks for answering as best you could, Jack. I definitely dig OGD 100/114 and other rye heavy bourbons (especially BT), so I should be fairly safe with the ETL, even if it's not quite as sweet as I was hoping for.

I'll hopefully post notes on the ETL in about a week and a half... crossing my fingers it's in stock when I get to Cali.

Connoisseur

Just got done with my manly chores of the day, cleaning and laundry, and now celebrating with a healthy pour of rHH BIB 6yr.
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Virtuoso

Helped the in-laws with technology today, now off to some 4R SB.

Guru

Beginning a pleasant evening with some Old Grand Dad.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Beginning a pleasant evening with some Old Grand Dad.
    You must buy it by the barrel!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    My first pour of AAA 10 year, followed by EW Black (NAS) - both great QPR although I 'd love to get the EW Black at 100 pf+ - paid $11.99 for a 750ml. The AAA 10 yr is also a great value; will be trying to get a few more of these in stock if this is going to go away.
    The AAA 10 Year reminds me a lot of Blanton's at about 1/2 the cost! The proof isn't as high but the taste is very similar.

Connoisseur

Pour of BT, getting low in the bottle and yeast is taking over the flavor profile.

Disciple

Started with VOB BIB and then followed up with EC12. Nice summer evening in Indiana.

Trippah and Admin

I brought a 200ml nip of WT 12 split along on a trip to PA and it is hitting the spot.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?