Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 24 of 221 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 2013

First meeting was a great time. The casual winner was definitely the Old Fitz. People went nuts for it. The HH6 was the clear loser, much to my chagrin, which led me to not open the Dant (my guess is that it's the same juice, younger. Is that sound?). We sampled the rest, then after dinner had some PHC Cognac and FRLESmB12.

Guru

Re: What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 2013

I think most people gravitate toward the less challenging flavor of wheat recipes in blind tastings which in some respects could be called the modern taste in Bourbon.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Thanks guys! A lot of the fellas coming are lawyers/politicos so I'm leading with the argument that the Bottled-in-Bond Act of 1897 is the most benevolent thing our government has done I also wanted to include a Taylor to have a BT product in the mix and to highlight Taylor's role in the BIB movement. Hopefully there will be some enthusiasm and we'll do something like single barrels next time.
    Always good to incorporate either a history or a production lesson in a whiskey tasting, particularly if the participants are not well-educated in what you are serving. I find it helps people remember what they tried, even if they call it "that one that Beam makes that just made a rye and a maple."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    Need to find a bottle I've been out of for a while. I'm debating among Booker's, ETL, & VOB.

between those, id definately get the bookers

Enthusiast

Had some E H Taylor Rye and EWSB 2003 b-83.

Connoisseur

WTRB in an Old Fashioned. Terrific.

Connoisseur

Finally able to put my feet up and relax now just before midnight, sipping away at my current favorite summer splash, WTRRSBSB 110 proof on ice. The 110 proof and WT flavor keep me coming back, and the ice has been necessary in this heat wave.

Spent yesterday and today helping some long-time friends of the family pack for a move. This lovely old couple, same age as my parents, moved in across the street from my parents' house in '94; the four of them instantly got along as if they'd known each other for decades. They're in their early 70's now, both retired, and they're selling the house and moving to an apartment across town (Lexington, MA, same as where I live), while keeping a little cottage they own on Martha's Vineyard.

Mr. L loves a drop or two, and he wanted to share a little of his new favorite bourbon (Larceny) midday today; DW and I were busy wrapping up crystal and china, and the heat and humidity were already getting to me, so I declined and promised that we'd share a drink soon. We'll invite them over for barbecue in the next few weeks, and have plenty of time for kicking back on the porch and I won't have to worry about dropping anything. Mrs. L gave us her mother's china service for eight as thanks for all our help, and we'll put it to good use.

Advanced Taster

After a very busy, but very good weekend, a little Rare Breed.
    Women without whiskey...
    Women without whiskey...
    Whiskey's hard to beat.
    - Drive By Truckers

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Kalessin View Post
    Finally able to put my feet up and relax now just before midnight, sipping away at my current favorite summer splash, WTRRSBSB 110 proof on ice. The 110 proof and WT flavor keep me coming back, and the ice has been necessary in this heat wave.

Spent yesterday and today helping some long-time friends of the family pack for a move. This lovely old couple, same age as my parents, moved in across the street from my parents' house in '94; the four of them instantly got along as if they'd known each other for decades. They're in their early 70's now, both retired, and they're selling the house and moving to an apartment across town (Lexington, MA, same as where I live), while keeping a little cottage they own on Martha's Vineyard.

Mr. L loves a drop or two, and he wanted to share a little of his new favorite bourbon (Larceny) midday today; DW and I were busy wrapping up crystal and china, and the heat and humidity were already getting to me, so I declined and promised that we'd share a drink soon. We'll invite them over for barbecue in the next few weeks, and have plenty of time for kicking back on the porch and I won't have to worry about dropping anything. Mrs. L gave us her mother's china service for eight as thanks for all our help, and we'll put it to good use.
    Nice. Very nice. Good on you. Share that drink sooner, than later. Time can get away from you, you know.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I'm heading to the fridge now too, Phil. Thanks for the reminder. A nice and chilly 6 yr HH BIB will soon be in my glass.
    Cheers!
    Dude, you drank bourbon yesterday. I saw it with my own two eyes. :eep:
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden