Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 178 of 221 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180188 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,780 of 2209
    Advanced Taster

Re: What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    More importantly, how were they? Is either the port or the zin finish worth getting? I saw some info suggesting they were using 6 to 7yo bourbon prior to finishing which makes me think they might be better than the usual stuff.

Or maybe that was Hooker House pinot noir finished bourbon, which I would also like to try if I could only find it or find a way to get it from the West Coast!
    The Zin finished is really nice. I like a variety of bourbon's and this one certainly has a place on my bar. I also like the AE Port Barrel Finished though and most others have not been too fond of it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Dangit! Now, don't I feel stupid...er...?

I think this whole time I was actually talking about the Hooker House...egads...Told ya they run together.... OK, I think I remember that the bottle I had came from somebody West of the Mississippi River!!!! Who's on first, again...?

Come to think of it, it could have been a finished rye...
    They do run together, don't they? I do recall you mentioning you had gotten a chance to try the Hooker House (bourbon?) from a bottle that Casey, formerly of Mac McGee's, had brought back from the Left Coast.

Don't recall you mentioning Big Bottom before (at least not in the context of whiskey...) but that certainly doesn't mean you haven't tried it at some time in the murky bourbon haze filled past!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Disciple

Tried the Breckinridge for the first time. Not bad at all.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by thiemb View Post
    Sampled through some gems last night with a couple other SBers: Binnys FR OBSQ, FR OBSV 17 yr Gift Shop, WT8 and WT12 split label. Those Turkeys are delicious.
    Sounds like a good night. My 4RSBLE took a beating last night.
    Insert TheNovaMan's signature here (___________)

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

They do run together, don't they? I do recall you mentioning you had gotten a chance to try the Hooker House (bourbon?) from a bottle that Casey, formerly of Mac McGee's, had brought back from the Left Coast.

Don't recall you mentioning Big Bottom before (at least not in the context of whiskey...) but that certainly doesn't mean you haven't tried it at some time in the murky bourbon haze filled past!
    That bottle from Mac McGee's is indeed the one I'm talking about. And, I think it could have been a rye... Either way, I do remember enjoying it. But, I tend to like this new segment of different wood finished rye and bourbon whiskies, in general.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Disciple

Did a comparison tasting of some older EB vs some newer EB. I have no idea how old the "older" is - they both are UPC 88352, but the older label says "Real Sippin Whiskey" and "Bottled by Ezra Brooks Distilling Co, St Louis, MO", where the newer label leaves off the sippin and claims "Distilled and Aged by Ezra Brooks Distilling, Louisville, Kentucky". Definitely have some similarity, but blind tasting found the older to be better by a few points. I found both to have a lot of butterscotch up front, but a better mouthfeel on the older - and maybe a bit more age. The older had a significantly better nose, despite being closer on the palate. Definitely hope to run across more of the older, although for the money - the current ain't bad.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Disciple

finishing off the Charter 101 while making lasagna. i really really like this when i started it, but by the bottom 1/3 of the bottle, i decided it was kind of bland. i got this and some FC 103 at the same time, and the FC is still enjoyable.

how many of you guys open something and enjoy it thoroughly, yet by the time its gone decide you probably wont buy it again? is this common. ive had it happen a lot.

after laboring on labor day and missing the politico labor day parade that kicks off the election year (governors and such up this year), found a poor GTS begging to be put out of it's misery. I showed some mercy and went Kevorkian.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    finishing off the Charter 101 while making lasagna. i really really like this when i started it, but by the bottom 1/3 of the bottle, i decided it was kind of bland. i got this and some FC 103 at the same time, and the FC is still enjoyable.

how many of you guys open something and enjoy it thoroughly, yet by the time its gone decide you probably wont buy it again? is this common. ive had it happen a lot.
    Has happened a few times. It's either air affecting the taste or other products trumping. I imagine it has to do with palette as well.

Guru

Passed through a couple of stores today and confirmed the Big Bottom was up front about being distilled in Indiana.

Big Bottom.jpeg
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum