Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 202 of 221 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204212 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,020 of 2209
    Guru

Re: What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 2013

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    Decided to repeat a past taste off of AAA 10 yr versus AAA 10 star in a blind SBS. Still leaning towards the 10 star. . . . On the nose, I get more oak from the 10 yr as one might expect, but not as much caramel as I do in the 10 star. . . . Adding a couple drops of water to each separates the men from the boys, but again - not fairly. The 10 yr doesn't take even a few drops well, and is diluted and thin, where the 10 star is just as nice, maybe even a bit better.
    Precisely, I've long been a proponent of balance over mere age. Traditional Bourbons made in the traditional way peak between 6-8 years if not sooner and after peaking the barrel influence takes over.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    BF is so busy selling 80 proof JD as fast as they can make it I don't see the incentive to slow down the train and stop at the little, out of the way barrel proof station.
    I don't see why BF's Daniel's line would have anything to do with any barrel proof option that they might do with their Forester line.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

No do I Joe, what are you reading into my post?

No do I Joe, what are you reading into my post?
    I don't know Squire, other than 393 conjectured on the market reaction of BF doing a higher/barrel proof Old Forester. You quoted his post and wrote that BF was too busy with JD's 80 proof product to consider that. Maybe, I missed something?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

Guru

Yes Joe, you missed my point, which is Brown-Forman (and every other distiller) has a greater financial incentive to encourage their customers to accept 80 proof expressions. Not a matter of options, rather one of profit.

Advanced Taster

Great day of drinks for college football Saturday. Er101, Jps18, wt rye 101, privaTe selection 4rsb, oc12, bmh and a couple others.

Yes Joe, you missed my point, which is Brown-Forman (and every other distiller) has a greater financial incentive to encourage their customers to accept 80 proof expressions. Not a matter of options, rather one of profit.
    If your comment was simply confined to Jack Daniel's, I could see that. But, you jumped distilleries, and I don't see linkage there. If BF is making good profits on JD, I don't see how that would negatively impact their decision on a brand extension at a totally different distillery in their portfolio.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

Guru

My point is a move toward lower proof and higher profits which isn't limited to any company or the brands that company owns.

Guru

Repeated yesterday's blind SBS with AAA 10 Star vs 10 yr, this time with the 10 Star diluted to 86 proof (to remove that edge it had with those 4 little proof points). Definitely made it a closer race, but still favored the 10 Star (and knowing I don't have to dilute it to 86 - bonus!!)
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I don't know Squire, other than 393 conjectured on the market reaction of BF doing a higher/barrel proof Old Forester. You quoted his post and wrote that BF was too busy with JD's 80 proof product to consider that. Maybe, I missed something?
    im no bourbon marketing guru, but it seems to me there would be no loss in profits, but there would likely be a GAIN by taking some of the barrels and selling them at barrel proof. even if you sell it at the same dollar per proof point that you sell the 80 proofers, the savings of labor, watering down, less labels, less bottles and caps/corks, less boxing, and less transportation costs per proof point.....the financial incentive to do limited barrel proofers seems to be motivating. plus, the hype you create over such a product would guarantee selling every bottle of it. just look at HH and their ECBP. they are creating both lines, the EC12 and the ECBP, and both sell well. though, i assume it will be another decade before supply can meet demand for producing obth lines simultaneously, and even then only if raising the number of barrels they barrel every year.

to put it simply, there is a reason they sell more concentrated orange juice than fresh orange juice