Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 53 of 221 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 2013

Got around to opening my 2011 THH. A drop of water opens things up and I'm really enjoying it!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Jackinbox View Post
    Just cracked open the OWA SB that I bought at Cork 'N Bottle in KY yesterday. I'm blown away by it. This is better than any OWA or W12 I've had yet. Whatever the case regarding the "Lost In The Warehouse" story, this is great bourbon. I'm sad that I only bought 1L.
    Picked up 7 1.75L last weekend. Finally got around to trying it last night, it's very impressive.

Virtuoso

More FR2013SB last night, still enjoying this very much.

Best regards, Tony

Advanced Taster

I made cheese enchiladas and the wife made calabacitas, so KAH anejo tonight.
    Women without whiskey...
    Women without whiskey...
    Whiskey's hard to beat.
    - Drive By Truckers

Enthusiast

A friend was nice enough to come over with a Pappy 23 that we cracked open. Doesn't seem as woody as the other bottles I remember. It's some fine bourbon.

Connoisseur

Uncle-in-law and family stayed with us for the weekend. Lots of good times, but hot enough weather that more beer was being consumed than bourbon.

Late on Saturday night, topics turned to finance and economics, which IMHO go best with whiskey; I poured some OGD 114 on rocks for conversational inspiration.

Guru

Nice afternoon smoking some ribs yesterday on my new WSM. It was hot as a bitch here in Chicago due to high humidity, so I kept myself plenty hydrated with cheap beer (Genesee Cream Ale) and a steady drip of JTS Brown BIB. I don't know what it is but that stuff sure goes well with grilling and 'cuing!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Went to see a comedian saturday night, afterwords we wandered into a bar that had some old paper label OWA 7yr... delcious pour! and some weller 12 with the crossed wheat embossed, it was much less oaky and much more butterscotch than current bottles of w12 i have at home.
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Virtuoso

My first pour of HH BiB gold label. Nice straight, but opened up and became more fruity with a couple drops of water. Straightforward with vanilla, carmel, and fruit. After a very long moment, there was a slight vegetal component on the finish, while a bit odd, was so subtle that I thought it added an interesting note to an otherwise straightfoward but very enjoyable pour.

I still find it amazing what great pours you can get for such a reasonable price - I think this was $10 for a 750ml. Amazing what great value bourbon can deliver - if this was all I had to drink, I would still be very happy.
    Mark

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    My first pour of HH BiB gold label. Nice straight, but opened up and became more fruity with a couple drops of water. Straightforward with vanilla, carmel, and fruit. After a very long moment, there was a slight vegetal component on the finish, while a bit odd, was so subtle that I thought it added an interesting note to an otherwise straightfoward but very enjoyable pour.

I still find it amazing what great pours you can get for such a reasonable price - I think this was $10 for a 750ml. Amazing what great value bourbon can deliver - if this was all I had to drink, I would still be very happy.
    I know what you mean. I've had similar experiences with several "budget" whiskeys (VOB BIB and Dixie Dew come to mind) and can never believe my good fortune after laying out so little money on a bottle.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet