Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 79 of 221 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 2013

4R Private Selection....man, they make a fine product!

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Tried some A.H. Hirsch 16 tonight for the first time.

While good, it wasn't "irrational exuberance" good.
    Wow that's quite a pour

Enthusiast

Having some FRSB LE 2012. I love me some FR!

Advanced Taster

What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 2013

Quote Originally Posted by michaelturtle1 View Post
    I have yet to figure out how a $60 bottle suddenly spirals into a $600+ bottle. I had a pour at a restaurant and was expecting brown magic in a glass but was left with a shrug of the shoulder thinking it was OK
    I'm hesitant to pay big bucks for a pour a holy grail type bourbon at a bar/restaurant based on my palate's variation from night to night. However, due to their scarcity I don't know how to taste them otherwise. Rock/hard place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Ted: "I have to eat something."
    Don: "Doesn't ice count?"

Connoisseur

A big fat pour of OGD 114. A moment of silence for the empty bottle please. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375047173.740612.jpg

Virtuoso

Looks about right to me.

Speaking of OGD, I'm sipping a 50/50ish vat of the OGD and HH BIBs. I think there's a slight bit more OGD. Not loving it, but there's nothing wrong with it necessarily. It's OGD with a slight astringency on the nose and palate. Will probably pour it on ice with some ginger ale when it gets hot again.

Connoisseur

I have not liked the last few bottles of Weller 12 I've had as much as I did about a year ago. I decided to decant about a liter of it in the hopes it'll be better (and because I never use the nifty decanter)ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375049927.015402.jpg. Almost immediately I noticed some condensation on the inside of the decanter.

Couple questions: is the condensation inside the decanter normal? Has anyone else noticed any drop off in the W12? For those who decant, how long should I give it?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by bingstein View Post
    I have not liked the last few bottles of Weller 12 I've had as much as I did about a year ago. I decided to decant about a liter of it in the hopes it'll be better (and because I never use the nifty decanter)ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375049927.015402.jpg. Almost immediately I noticed some condensation on the inside of the decanter.

Couple questions: is the condensation inside the decanter normal? Has anyone else noticed any drop off in the W12? For those who decant, how long should I give it?
    Searched on here and found;

"I'm assuming we are talking about condensation on the inside of the bottle, if this is the case don't worry, it will happen under the right conditions (temp & pressure). As long as nothing is escaping the bottle then it will all go back to liquid when the conditions go back to normal. Really it is the same principle as distillation except since there is nowhere for the gas to go it condensates on the glass then falls back into the bottle. I would only be concerned if I knew it was escaping the bottle then you have to hope the cork is doing it's job."

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...and-new-bottle

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by theglobalguy View Post
    Searched on here and found;

"I'm assuming we are talking about condensation on the inside of the bottle, if this is the case don't worry, it will happen under the right conditions (temp & pressure). As long as nothing is escaping the bottle then it will all go back to liquid when the conditions go back to normal. Really it is the same principle as distillation except since there is nowhere for the gas to go it condensates on the glass then falls back into the bottle. I would only be concerned if I knew it was escaping the bottle then you have to hope the cork is doing it's job."

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...and-new-bottle
    Perfect! Thank you for that. Well good, I suppose it can sit in the decanter for awhile then.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by bingstein View Post
    Perfect! Thank you for that. Well good, I suppose it can sit in the decanter for awhile then.
    Not an expert on this, but would assume not much different than sitting in open bottle after a period of time from the standpoint of oxidation.

I have a mantle where i keep open bottles in a basement (climate controlled within +/- 5F, don't know if it's shape of bottle or content, but i have seen 1 or 2 do this while all the bottles around them did not.