Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 98 of 221 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148198 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 2013

Quote Originally Posted by michaelturtle1 View Post
    I wish I could travel back in time to when this pour was ordinary, it is positively an incredible pour
    We also didn't have cell phones or the internet.

Enthusiast
    A healthy pour of SB blend.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    We also didn't have cell phones or the internet.
    I wish I could travel back in time to when this pour was ordinary, it is positively an incredible pour
    As squire implies, careful what you wish for.

It seems that the harder something is to acquire, and the more expensive it is, the better it tastes. The flip-side is that something that is bargain priced and sits on the shelves can't be any good.

It takes b*lls to admit that something you hunted down for ages and shelled out the equivalent of a mortgage payment turned out to be a disappointment. It takes experience to admit that the everyday pour is as good/or better than the highly sought after flavour of the day.

Also, the more limited one's experience the more the next sample is the "best I ever had"...
    Last edited by portwood; 08-07-2013 at 06:49.

Guru

[QUOTE Also, the more limited one's experience the more the next sample is the "best I ever had"...[/QUOTE]
    You couldn't have descrbed me any better if you would have tried.

What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 2013

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    As squire implies, careful what you wish for.

It seems that the harder something is to acquire, and the more expensive it is, the better it tastes. The flip-side is that something that is bargain priced and sits on the shelves can't be any good.

It takes b*lls to admit that something you hunted down for ages and shelled out the equivalent of a mortgage payment turned out to be a disappointment. It takes experience to admit that the everyday pour is as good/or better than the highly sought after flavour of the day.

Also, the more limited one's experience the more the next sample is the "best I ever had"...
    I just know what I like and the Cabin Still falls right into my wheel house... Most 6-10 yr 86-100 proof dusty bourbon hits the spot for me... The 90 proof Cabin Still just happened to be particularly good.. My wife and I tried 5 Van Winkle era Old Fitzs and that Cabin Still blind and the CS was by far the best pour.

Disciple

I just know what I like and the Cabin Still falls right into my wheel house... Most 6-10 yr 86-100 proof dusty bourbon hits the spot for me... The 90 proof Cabin Still just happened to be particularly good.. My wife and I tried 5 Van Winkle era Old Fitzs and that Cabin Still blind and the CS was by far the best pour.
    Bobby Cox brought a Cabin Still to the Gazebo this spring that was just an incredible pour I wish I knew the exact era of which it was produced,out of the many things offered on the table it was truly one of the most memorable for sure.I have tried quite a few dusties thanks to a great many of members and that CS is one of the best I've ever had,looking forward to the KBF and what surprises it may bring to the table.....pun intended.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Taster

The last few nights I've been drinking some Larceny to try and kill this bottle so I can make some more room. I wasn't a big fan at first but it's been sitting on the shelf a few months and opened up quite nicely. The honey and corn notes really show much more after being open a while.

Connoisseur

A 1974 Bottling of Beams Choice 8yr. Tasty, definitely still beam, I'd describe it like a honey barrel of knob but 86 proof.
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    Bobby Cox brought a Cabin Still to the Gazebo this spring that was just an incredible pour I wish I knew the exact era of which it was produced,out of the many things offered on the table it was truly one of the most memorable for sure.I have tried quite a few dusties thanks to a great many of members and that CS is one of the best I've ever had,looking forward to the KBF and what surprises it may bring to the table.....pun intended.
    Makes me wanna open my baby bottle of Weller's CS on the shelf.
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Guru

Of course the only difference between Cabin Still and Old Fitzgerald is proof and age. During the last years of Stitzel-Weller when Bourbon sales were slowing down and whisky stocks accumulating the difference between the two was mostly proof.