Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Continuing the tradition . . . .Hello from Nashville, TN

Hey SBers,
    Like most I am new to the bourbon scene.
    A little about myself: I am 34m and I am a fan of alcohol =D Mainly beer, wine, and a few mixed drinks I make on occasion. I am by no means a connoisseur of anything hehe. I am married with a daughter and a boy on the way and I'm very excited.

My grandparents both passed away last year and I was lucky enough to retrieve a few things that ment something to me. One of those where their gold rimed tumbler glasses that no one will be allowed to touch =P.
    I kept some of their alcohol, one of them was a thing of bourbon, and that is why I am here now =)

I have been looking on bourbon forums and doing searches trying to find out more about the bourbon he had but haven't found much and was hoping y'all might have some input. (Pictures are attached of it.) Its a bottle of Old Taylor and that is about all I know. Been trying to find pictures to compare, trying to find any kind of reviews on it, even price not that I would ever sell it, but just seems a lost cause to me. I may just be an idiot when it comes to research hehe.

I want to broaden my drinks and I thought why not try bourbon in honor of my grandparents. When I start to get a good nose and tongue for it I will crack open this bottle of old taylor with my dad.

Thank you all for havin me here and hopefully learn something and make some friend.

OT2.jpgOT1.jpg

Disciple

Re: Continuing the tradition . . . .Hello from Nashville, TN

Well Howdy, and Welcome Nurdaben. That Taylor looks fantastic. As luck would have it, one of my friends is in the same spot as you with that bottle. He keeps telling me he's gonna bring the bottle in, and share it. Got it from his Grandpa's stash. Don't be afraid to crack it open, and give it a taste. If I ever get my taste, I'll be sure to report back. Have fun on your bourbon journey, and welcome aboard.

Connoisseur

HI, Nurdaben! Have Fun with your Bourbon Journey. You'll learn alot on these forums, even if you aren't trying.
    There are many styles and many mashbills and a bunch of different ages and proofs... and that's just scratching the surface.
    Learning what you like well, better, best is a lifelong adventure.
    Welcome aboard!!! ...And, I'll say it again; Have FUN!!!

Virtuoso

Nuraben...that bottle looks great. I agree that you should share it with a few friends and enjoy the memories of your grandparents. I often try to view life today as I wonder how my grandparents would have. I would give anything to have a conversation with my grandparents over a nice pour of whiskey. Welcome aboard. Enjoy the journey!

Disciple

Welcome Nurdaben! That Old Taylor is some nice stuff. I'm no expert (thankfully there are plenty on here!), but I think that is a National Distiller's made product, before Beam bought the label. I managed to come across a 200 mL bottle from that era, and it is really nice whiskey! Hope you're able to enjoy it with friends and family.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru
    What a great way to remember the grandparents! Welcome and I look forward to your contributions here.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Novice

Has nothing to do with bourbon, i was trying to find someplace to look it up, but i have a bacardi rum with the serial number taped over the top and was trying to look it up to see when it was bottled and stuff. Anyone know where i can find that info out?

Quote Originally Posted by Nurdaben View Post
    Has nothing to do with bourbon, i was trying to find someplace to look it up, but i have a bacardi rum with the serial number taped over the top and was trying to look it up to see when it was bottled and stuff. Anyone know where i can find that info out?
    A couple of places to try in the Non Whiskey Alcohol forum there is a Rum thread maybe some one in there can help you. Also in the collectable forum there are several threads and post on dating bottles.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Guru

You might want to visit www.ministryofrum.com.

Enthusiast

Nurdaben ...
    Welcome ... Likewise, I cherish my mom and dad's gold rimed Tom Collins glasses.
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd