Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 53 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? Summer '13

FFF Blackheart. Nice change of pace in an IPA.

Advanced Taster

What Beer Are You Drinking? Summer '13

Had my first Trappist Westvleteren 12 tonight. Probably the last too, but it was very good. This one concluded my Belgian sampling over the last few days. They would rank (after Westvleteren 12) as follows:
    - St. Bernardus Abt. 12
    - Trappist Rochefort 10
    - Trappist Rochefort 8
    - Witkap Pater Tripel

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Now you tell me! Just had a "fresh" Dogfish Head Immort Ale (At least I presume it is fresh, just bought it but no idea how long it has been on the shelf). I didn't think it was bad but I could see where it might balance out a bit with time. In fact I put a splash of old Chambord that had oxidized into an interesting chocolatey flavor with just a hint of raspberry in the last third of it and thought that improved the beer a bit. I will sit on the rest of what I have for awhile and see how it does!
    Heh, well at least you're not curious about it anymore, and that's something! I've bought so many whiskies over the years because I was just too curious. Even when they sucked, I felt like it was worth it because I was able to sleep better at night, at least until the next obsession... Anyway, the bottling date should be printed on the front of the bottle, so you can gauge how fresh it was. They used to print the exact date, but now I think it's just a year, and sometimes the season. I think they bottled this year's batch in the spring. I would recommend trying it after a year. 4 years was way too long, and that was fridge aging, not even proper cellar aging.

Virtuoso

Giant beers last night while entertaining a few friends. 3F's Rabbid Rabbit, Blackheart, and Apocolypse Cow. Took a brief break for a an after dinner AE Rye, then hit a Double Dog.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    Heh, well at least you're not curious about it anymore, and that's something! I've bought so many whiskies over the years because I was just too curious. Even when they sucked, I felt like it was worth it because I was able to sleep better at night, at least until the next obsession... Anyway, the bottling date should be printed on the front of the bottle, so you can gauge how fresh it was. They used to print the exact date, but now I think it's just a year, and sometimes the season. I think they bottled this year's batch in the spring. I would recommend trying it after a year. 4 years was way too long, and that was fridge aging, not even proper cellar aging.
    Yeah, these bottles have the "Bottled in" printed on them but no date! However I am pretty sure they are this year.

I also picked up and tried Burton Baton which I rather liked. Already a bit smoother from the blend of old ale in the IPA. Not sure if it will age as well.

Any opinion on putting some age on DFH Midas Touch? I like that one as well but came across a few that had been sitting in the cellar for about a year that I had forgotten about. So I suppose I am going to find out how they do after a year whether or not it is a good idea...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I also picked up and tried Burton Baton which I rather liked. Already a bit smoother from the blend of old ale in the IPA. Not sure if it will age as well. Any opinion on putting some age on DFH Midas Touch? I like that one as well but came across a few that had been sitting in the cellar for about a year that I had forgotten about. So I suppose I am going to find out how they do after a year whether or not it is a good idea...
    I love Burton Baton! The weird thing is, I haven't found that it changes much after aging. I got an aged bottle as a gift a couple of years ago, and I'll be darned, it had just as much of a bite as the fresh bottles do. That goes against the collective wisdom of the beer lover community, I know, because hops are supposed to vanish pretty quickly. Don't know about the Midas Touch. Please let us know! This isn't related, but my senior year roommate in college worked with DFH on the marketing campaign for Midas Touch, as part of his senior thesis project.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    I love Burton Baton! The weird thing is, I haven't found that it changes much after aging. I got an aged bottle as a gift a couple of years ago, and I'll be darned, it had just as much of a bite as the fresh bottles do. That goes against the collective wisdom of the beer lover community, I know, because hops are supposed to vanish pretty quickly. Don't know about the Midas Touch. Please let us know! This isn't related, but my senior year roommate in college worked with DFH on the marketing campaign for Midas Touch, as part of his senior thesis project.
    Will do. May go looking for a fresh Midas Touch to serve as a comparison, if there is any around.

Really want to crack open the Noble Rot as well but it is a bomber and so it may have to wait for the weekend.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Deschutes Summer Ale last night and Oskar Blues' Dale's Pale Ale on deck for tonight, along with a few strays in the beer fridge (Anchor Summer, Anchor Liberty, etc.).
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Hanging at West 6th having a couple of Black IPAs. Super nice.

Advanced Taster

What Beer Are You Drinking? Summer '13

Had Oskar Blues Oskar the G'Rauch tonight. It's a fantastic smoked IPA…
    only available on draft. Look around for it!