Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 25 of 53 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

What Beer Are You Drinking? Summer '13

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum whole cone imperial IPA

Disciple

Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? Summer '13

Clown Shoes "Hoppy Feet" deep rich dark malt and plenty of embittering hops abound,pretty well done indeed.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Disciple

Clown Shoes "Tramp Stamp" Belgian Style IPA,not bad over all but has a minerality or vitamin note that comes into play with the hops that really seems to clash with an otherwise enjoyable profile.
    Larry Wachowski

The Voshole

Harviestoun Ola Dubh ale (yes...that's how it's spelled) matured in Highland Park 18 casks. Thick and chewy, not a whole lot of whisky influence. Nice ale, but not worth the money imho.
    Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself

Guru

An impromptu beer sampling last night at a local BYOB pizza place that hasn't gotten its liquor license yet. Almost wish they wouldn't as it is nice to be able to bring our own.

Beer tasting.JPG

Selections included a Boulevard Saison Brett that I missed because I arrived late, Westbrook Mexican Cake Stout (the clear favorite of the evening), Terrapin Sound Czech pilsner, Hale's Wee Heavy Ale which proved to be a pleasant surprise, Sierra Nevada 30th Anniv. Helles Bock, White Wall spiced IPA and a couple that didn't make it into the picture that included a Ölvisholt Lava Russian Imperial Stout (that had an interesting smoked taste with a hint of pork sausage!) and a Deschutes Black Butte Porter which might have been a bit past its prime as it seemed a little flat.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Another day, another beer sampler! Tonight had some real beauties as well.

Beer sample 3.jpegBeer sample 2.jpegBeer sample 1.jpeg

Boulevard Reverb Imperial Pilsner - OK but not outstanding
    Just the Tip Ale brewed with spruce tips from The Mostly Harmless Brewing Company (the hosts own home brew)
    Westbrook Gose - a salted wheat beer that had a slightly sour pickle brine component. I liked it but I like sours and I was in the minority
    Saison Dupont - I found it rather bland but then it did follow the Gose...
    Port Brewery Wipeout IPA - pretty basic IPA
    Stone R&R Coconut - Ok but absolutely no coconut taste at all

Then the pace picked up!

Dogfish Head Miles Davis Bitches Brew - an excellent malty Stout that was nicely balanced with a bit-o-honey flavor
    Stone W00tstout - also good with a rich chocolate malty taste but didn't quite measure up to the Brew in complexity of flavor. Didn't taste the pecans.
    Deschutes Black Butte XXV Anniversary - again quite good and much better than the regular Black Butte from the night before with a thick mouth feel and fig/raison-y taste but still didn't quite equal the Bitches Brew for me.

Growler 1.jpegGrowler 2.JPG
    The picture shows the bottle for the last two but we didn't open those. Instead we had a growler of each. Not sure how that might effect the taste, whether for the good or bad.

Bruery Bois.jpeg
    And then we closed the evening with a superb creation. The Bruery Bois, their fifth anniversary ale was a big and boozy Old Ale style and had tons of malt, vanilla and caramel mixing together to create the perfect finish to the evening!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    An impromptu beer sampling last night at a local BYOB pizza place that hasn't gotten its liquor license yet. Almost wish they wouldn't as it is nice to be able to bring our own.

Selections included a Boulevard Saison Brett that I missed because I arrived late...
    IMHO you likely didn't miss much with the Saison Brett; I opened one at a tasting a week ago and it was less funky/ interesting than the first one I opened a few years ago. I thought the age would help bring out that funky brett character, but it didn't seem to. Also opened Ommegeddon at the same tasting that was much funkier with lots of brett character.

A few more hours of classes then I'll be working on my homebrewing rig over a couple of beers - planning to open Grassroots Brewing Arctic Saison - brewed as a collaboration between Shaun of Hill Farmstead and Anchorage Brewing. It's another Brett Saison, but it's only been in the bottle since May.

Disciple

Bell's Two Hearted,I really don't know why I don't drink this more often.
    Larry Wachowski

Enthusiast

Bell's night for me too. A random cold front blew through today, and I'm having some Kalamazoo Stout while watching the Falcons preseason game against Baltimore.

Advanced Taster

What Beer Are You Drinking? Summer '13

Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout followed by a Southern Tier Jah-va Imperial Coffee Stout.