Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Availability of Old Fitzgerald BIB?

An open mind is good, an open bottle is better and I'm more interested in the company I'm with than the label we're sharing.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by weller_tex View Post
    Yep, having an open mind is good. After a round of gold yesterday afternoon in steamy 98 degree heat I had a JBW on the rocks in the Clubhouse. Very tasty and very refreshing on a hot day. Obviously there are folks that can detect Beam at 1000 yards and run away but I bet a lot of folks that don't like JBW because they were told they should not like JBW would have enjoyed it. It would not have been that great neat, but over ice it was real tasty.
    Maker's suffers the same fate as in your JBW example. W-T. Dissed on for street cred in many instances, IMHO.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Maker's suffers the same fate as in your JBW example. W-T. Dissed on for street cred in many instances, IMHO.
    Yep definitely. I think Maker's is really quality stuff. I think it's the bourbon snobs that miss out..the great unwashed masses that swear by it and have their Ambassador Cards (l have mine) regularly are ridiculed but it is the snobs missing out on good bourbon. Fine with me.. I actually MM neat. It isn't challenging, but has a great mouthfeel, not too sweet, great finish.

I'd love to give OF BIB a whirl but I have never seen it in Texas. Gonna have to look harder. Sounds like decent stuff for $15.

Guru

It's really hard to find around here, but I have seen it in one or maybe two stores. I think the last place I saw it was Drinks Liquor on HWY6.

...and I'm not too good to drink Jim Beam either. For $15 it's a good mixer or even straight in a pinch.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    It's really hard to find around here, but I have seen it in one or maybe two stores. I think the last place I saw it was Drinks Liquor on HWY6.

...and I'm not too good to drink Jim Beam either. For $15 it's a good mixer or even straight in a pinch.
    You can get a free t-shirt this summer when you purchase select bottles of Beam!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post

I am thinking I need to check some of the smaller stores here in the Bay Area since I have never seen it at the three Spec's I frequent.

Enthusiast

Availability of Old Fitzgerald BIB?

This thread prompted me to pick up a bottle last night. Not as bad as I expected. I can find redeeming qualities in both Old Fitz BIB and Weller Reserve. Doing a 50/50 blend for a 95 proof "SW Blend" might take the cake. It only had a few hours to marry, though. I'll give it time.

Guru

Not as bad as I expected sounds like going out with your friend's sister. Let us know how the blend turns out.

Disciple

Available all over the great state of Wisconsin. I feel that it's improved over a couple years ago, or maybe I'm just sick of not having enough wheaters on the shelf. Either way, I grab this over Larceny. Yeah, I said it.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    I feel that it's improved over a couple years ago, or maybe I'm just sick of not having enough wheaters on the shelf. Either way, I grab this over Larceny. Yeah, I said it.
    I'm glad someone on the board finally agrees with me,I could never lock horns with the Larceny and just always felt that the yeasty/twang was never agreeable with the wheated profile.I have tried to love the Larceny and just can't,I am just glad the Fitz fits the bill and I can keep a little change in my pocket at the same time.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski