Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Availability of Old Fitzgerald BIB?

Old Fitz BIB has become a favorite summer friend on the rocks. I've turned quite a few people onto it. It's not the most complex bourbon in the world but $13 a bottle it might be the cheapest BIB out there, tastes great on the rocks in the summer and it is darn easy on the wallet. If I don't tell people the price they are really surprised by the relative taste/value. And I keep trying my larceny and it hasn't won me over. My bottle is still 2/3 full and I find myself reaching for Old Fitz before Larceny. Not sure why. Maybe it's the heat and humidity. Oh well in the interest of research I'll keep trying....

Guru

The goal is elusive but the cause is just.

Virtuoso

Slight thread drift, but recognizing ABV is not directly related to cost, why would Old Fitz 1849 (90 proof) be more expensive than the BIB? Am i missing an age statement somewhere on the bottle?

Guru

It used to be 8 years old, perhaps they think some old customers won't notice.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    It used to be 8 years old, perhaps they think some old customers won't notice.
    It also used to be 9 yr, and 10 year age stated! I've heard that the recent bottling is much improved over the NAS release right after the 8yr.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

PA doesn't carry any Old Fitz, so I've never tried it. I'll have to keep an eye out for it next time I'm traveling. I don't care for larceny, so I'm kind of curious to see if I like this better.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by qman22 View Post
    PA doesn't carry any Old Fitz, so I've never tried it. I'll have to keep an eye out for it next time I'm traveling. I don't care for larceny, so I'm kind of curious to see if I like this better.
    It's been a few months since I finished off my first-and-only bottle of Old Fitz Bonded, but I'm currently going thru a bottle of Larceny.... and from my vague recollection, I'd say Old Fitz Bonded is a more intense version of Larceny. Especially in regard to the 'nutty' flavor a lot of people detect, so if you don't enjoy that aspect of Larceny, I wouldn't get your hopes up on Old Fitz (but obviously still go try it!)

Personally, I'm looking forward to giving the Old Fitz another shot... Bonded wheater for $14 isn't such a bad deal.

Advanced Taster

This thread inspired me to take the plunge for Old Fitz BIB when I saw it go on sale recently. I'm sure glad I did. Very rich and sweet, but not too sweet, with just a hint of char. The sweetness reminds me of candy corn. Excellent mouth feel. I like it better than Larceny, but not by that much. Overall, my first impression is very positive. I have to admit I avoided this one for a couple of years after seeing so many negative reviews on this site. Either I got a great bottle, and y'all didn't, or my taste buds are just plain different from y'all.

Enthusiast

Though I have not tried the BIB, I must agree with your general sentiment. I've been amazed at how good my bottle of Very Old Fitz has been, gave it to a friend last night who adores wheaters and he went and immediately bought himself a bottle (can't get Weller 12 in Oregon).

The price keeps people away but I'd love to see more talk of the new VOF.

Virtuoso

The last bottle of VOF I had wasn't bad, but not worth the price. However, I've recently picked up bottles of Larceny and OF 1849 and enjoyed them quite a bit. It seems that HH is getting a handle on their wheated bourbons and I wouldn't mind giving VOF another try.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay