Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

James E. Pepper rye?

I have not seen a posting about this rye. I know it is just another young LDI rye..but it is bottled at 50% and is only $25 here in Houston. I really like the stuff. A much better deal than Bulleit Rye given the proof and sweeter than the Willett Ryes for a change of pace. Has anyone else had it?

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Re: James E. Pepper rye?

I've seen it at Spec's but didn't pull the trigger as I'm not a big fan of ryes. IIRC, the label said it's "At least 2 years old" , bottled in Bardstown and distilled in Indiana or something like that. I'm betting that it tastes just like the other young LDI ryes being bottled out there.
    No US taxpayer was harmed in the making of my Ford racecar.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by doubleblank View Post
    I've seen it at Spec's but didn't pull the trigger as I'm not a big fan of ryes. IIRC, the label said it's "At least 2 years old" , bottled in Bardstown and distilled in Indiana or something like that. I'm betting that it tastes just like the other young LDI ryes being bottled out there.
    Of the LDI ryes I have only had Willett 3 and 4 year and Bulleit, but to me it tastes different than both. Higher proof than Bulleit and you sure can tell it. It is sweeter than the Willets..less of that briny, pickle character.

Connoisseur

This showed up at my local whiskey monger yesterday. I picked a bottle up. I am sure it is ldi, but in a different style. I had a sample of this style of ldi rye sent to me from a broker wanting to sell some. I am convinced Ldi has 2 rye mashbills, or at least, one mashbill and 2 different ways to distill it. This Pepper brand of rye and the sample I got is less piney, minty as in the Bulleit rye. This is fruitier, more bourbon like, more perfumy. Harsh in a wierd way too. It could be different warehouse placement too. This says at least 2 years, which probably means 2 years and a day. But it has a hell of a dark color for 2 years. So it could be from barrels higher in the warehouse.

Trippah and Admin

I wonder if it is an extension of what this guy asked about?

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...Pepper-Bourbon
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Connoisseur

I do not know, probably. I think it was brought in in 53 gallon barrels and then transferred to small barrels, there is a certain harshness that come from green wood that one of the small barrel cooperages uses.

Connoisseur

I bought a bottle of this and my feelings are consistent with everyone else on here- This is absolutely LDI rye (My bottle even says it was distilled in Indiana) and it is quite young. They do state that it is a straight rye whiskey, so it must be 2 years old, which is what the taste seems to impart. It's good whiskey for the price!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    I wonder if it is an extension of what this guy asked about?

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...Pepper-Bourbon
    It is. He initially released a Pepper bourbon a year or so ago; it was nothing special. Currently out are the Pepper 1776 bourbon and rye- I have tasted the bourbon and it is a marked improvement over the original, although I don't know the price point or where he sources it.

Enthusiast

The rye has just popped up in a few stores in MA... I hope they manage to get to the point where they're distilling and aging, rather than sourcing.

Enthusiast

I don't know if that is part of his future plans or not, but I can probably find out. my guess would be not.