Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What Rye Are You Drinking? Summer 2013

Michael, that chart is what was on my mind when I posted about the Hirsch, Vintage and (presumably) the Willett being from the same stock-Medley. But I certainly get the point that single barrels even from the same source and same year can be markedly different. Particularly over a 25 yr timeline.

And good info from both you and Hugh. Thanks!
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Connoisseur

Dunno about any sources, but it's all (delicious) rye to me. I'd like to put it out there that what's to say that COK and Medley weren't mingled for brands other than the VWFRR. I for one think that the Vintage 21 is a mingling of Medley and COK, but the truth is we'll never know. I'm just grateful for all the opportunities for exploration, experimentation and speculation. It's part of what makes the whole thing fun.

Enthusiast

Having a healthy pour of VWFRR to celebrate my upcoming vacation .

I have enjoyed reading the posts about the sources of the older ryes, which I love. I have never tried the Hirsch ryes (or even seen them for sale), but they sound delish!

Virtuoso

What Rye Are You Drinking? Summer 2013

Did a side by side between the Willett 25 year rye and Hirsch 25 year rye. Note H25R was my favorite and I'm also one who like aged rye and bourbon.

Also, from yesterday fresh bottle to today, it's actually quite a bit different. Also, side by side comparison to me is more direct and less subjective if that is possible.

So, in summary, they are almost identical!! This W25R is differently a Medley.

The color almost the same, perhaps the W25r is very slightly darker amber. Both very deep and mesmerizing. Nose, clearly a heavenly Medley nose. So wondrous that it's enough just to nose it. Taste and finish is balance, complex, some nice wood with nice mature sophistication.

I taste sips one first then the other first probably ten times and can't pick up any difference. In a true blind tasting, I think I won't be able to tell the difference.

Virtuoso

Also try to do a side by side with a Vintage 23 Rye and Hirsch 22. Since its a fresh bottle of V23r, I let the pour sit for 20 min then pour H23r and let both sit another 60 min. I was busy on something else.

So couldn't do a good side by side but enjoy the pour.

First impression they are very similar and enjoy both very much. I'll repeat this on another day where I can spend more attention on this and not be distracted.

Connoisseur

Wow, you guys are drinking some stunners. I'll just sit here and nurse my Scotch crap.

Guru
    Sipping on a recent acquisition tonight

Michter's 10 Rye
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Sipping on a recent acquisition tonight

Michter's 10 Rye
    Did you enjoy it? I think it tastes like a young Saz 18

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelturtle1 View Post
    Did you enjoy it? I think it tastes like a young Saz 18
    Sipping on it now - haven't had my Saz18 in a while so I need to do a side by side. I do love it though and am bunkering up on these.

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Followed up that Michter's 10 with Saz18 and there's some family resemblance - the Saz18 has been open way longer but I'll be d@mned if this isn't a stunner of a whiskey.