Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What Rye Are You Drinking? Summer 2013

Lot 40 and some HW21. Fun lil compare and contrast and good stuff all around.

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Lot 40 and some HW21. Fun lil compare and contrast and good stuff all around.
    That's the exact same SBS I was thinking about earlier today! Interesting little experiment with similarly barreled ryes.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

What Rye Are You Drinking? Summer 2013

Quote Originally Posted by devillighter View Post
    This batch was the highest rated by Jim Murray when he sampled all 31 bottlings (how that is possible I do not know!). He called it "salivating, roasty, major", so take that as you will.
    I am awaiting Robert Parker's rating on the bottle, then I can truly know what it tastes like... The 23 was open for 3 days and the 25 has been open for nearly a year. I have not noticed much change in the 2 bottles and the 23 was incredible the moment I popped the cork...I generally like ryes better when freshly opened, I have yet to find one that gets better the longer it is open... Though this 21 might be different as it seems to need air.

Guru

It was. But hardly a fair fight, with the HW being 3X older on average. Still, enjoyed the Lot 40 immeasurably more tonight than last.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by michaelturtle1 View Post
    I am awaiting Robert Parker's rating on the bottle, then I can truly know what it tastes like... The 23 was open for 3 days and the 25 has been open for nearly a year. I have not noticed much change in the 2 bottles and the 23 was incredible the moment I popped the cork...I generally like ryes better when freshly opened, I have yet to find one that gets better the longer it is open... Though this 21 might be different as it seems to need air.
    Somehow I doubt the 23 will make it to a year open! It was delicious - but of course I thought the Hirsch 21 was the best of the bunch we sampled.

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    It was. But hardly a fair fight, with the HW being 3X older on average. Still, enjoyed the Lot 40 immeasurably more tonight than last.
    Started off with the Lot.40'12 (it was better this time around for me as well) - but ended up pouring some El Dorado 12 in for a pleasant vatted experience.

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Opened up a graceful old rye today...

This Hirsch 22 Rye sucks... those of you that have them in your bunker should send them to me ASAP so I can properly dispose of this dreck for you.

Virtuoso

Enjoyed my first pour of VWFRR tonight thanks to fellow SBers. Lawrenceburg bottling, really delicious and all the accolades are well deserved.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Virtuoso

started with a Wilett 21-non rye last night, and then treated with some Hirsch 22yr rye for the finale.

A very nice night.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Advanced Taster

Finished off a bottle of the Jefferson's 10yr last night. I need to do a side-by-side of the Jefferson's, Masterson's, and the Whistle Pig. I've got a bit of a bottle of the pig left, and Jefferson's is plentiful around here, but I never see the Masterson's in Austin.