Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What Cocktail are you Enjoying Summer '13?

A couple of cocktails last night at dinner in addition to exploration of a variety of bottles that I brought with me. Helps that the bar manager is a friend and it helps even more that I share everything I bring with her! In addition to my two new arrivals from Holland I had AE Rye, Ratafia de Champagne and two port style wines, Malamado, a malbec from Argentina and Sand-Reckoner, a fortified zinfandel from the middle of nowhere in Arizona (Willcox, AZ). Who knew there were so many winerys in SE AZ? And that one makes a port!

First cocktail was an Allegheny. I keep forgetting to get a picture of the menu but it is a sous vide cocktail (basically slow cooked for 2 days at low temperature) with ER10SB bourbon, lemon juice, fresh blackberries and probably another ingredient or two. The blackberries basically explode during the cooking and the juice melds with everything else. Delightful!

Also had a Maloney No. 2 which is credited to John Durr in Louisville, KY.
    1.5 oz BIB bourbon (Evan Williams I think)
    1.5 oz sweet vermouth (my go to is Carpano. Cocchi di Torino is in the original recipe)
    0.75 oz of the ever popular Cynar
    0.5 ox of Luxardo maraschino liqueur

I had it up with an orange twist. Very nice!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    A couple of cocktails last night at dinner in addition to exploration of a variety of bottles that I brought with me. Helps that the bar manager is a friend and it helps even more that I share everything I bring with her! In addition to my two new arrivals from Holland I had AE Rye, Ratafia de Champagne and two port style wines, Malamado, a malbec from Argentina and Sand-Reckoner, a fortified zinfandel from the middle of nowhere in Arizona (Willcox, AZ). Who knew there were so many winerys in SE AZ? And that one makes a port!

First cocktail was an Allegheny. I keep forgetting to get a picture of the menu but it is a sous vide cocktail (basically slow cooked for 2 days at low temperature) with ER10SB bourbon, lemon juice, fresh blackberries and probably another ingredient or two. The blackberries basically explode during the cooking and the juice melds with everything else. Delightful!

Also had a Maloney No. 2 which is credited to John Durr in Louisville, KY.
    1.5 oz BIB bourbon (Evan Williams I think)
    1.5 oz sweet vermouth (my go to is Carpano. Cocchi di Torino is in the original recipe)
    0.75 oz of the ever popular Cynar
    0.5 ox of Luxardo maraschino liqueur

I had it up with an orange twist. Very nice!
    Where are you drinking that you have bartenders that sous vide? I want in on that.

I went for something drastically less involved tonight: a sherry cobbler. My first one. Used a $5 TJ's manzanilla which meant things weren't destined to send socks veering off in any directions, but it was worthwhile. Simple and would probably be quite enjoyable with a drier and better sherry.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Alphanumeric View Post
    Where are you drinking that you have bartenders that sous vide? I want in on that.

I went for something drastically less involved tonight: a sherry cobbler. My first one. Used a $5 TJ's manzanilla which meant things weren't destined to send socks veering off in any directions, but it was worthwhile. Simple and would probably be quite enjoyable with a drier and better sherry.
    From the guiding hand of the delightful beverage manager and bartender extraordinaire, Arianne Fielder, at Seven Lamps in Atlanta.

http://atlanta.eater.com/archives/20...lamps.php#more

http://www.sevenlampsatl.com/#about

The menu also features Beer-tails, alcoholic root beer slushies and barrel-aged cocktails. What could be better?
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru
    Green Tea Ginger Ale & Rye (with Scrappy's Orange Bitters) on ice to celebrate finally tipping 80deg F in Seattle.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Novice

Did my first variation of an old fashioned, WT Rye 81 with Peychuard's bitters. All I can say is I wish someone had handed me something like this about oh five or so years ago, delicious.

Connoisseur

What Cocktail are you Enjoying Summer '13?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372797058.163106.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	15911

Mmmmmmm...

Got some silver plated julep cups, and used the opportunity to finish a bottle of WR that someone left at my house.

Advanced Taster

That's a lovely julep, Trey. You should remind your auto-focus of that.

Virtuoso

A Shandy of sorts - with homemade limeade (5 limes, one orange - was time to use up some citrus...) - 25% limeade, 75% Harpoon Bohemian Pilsner ...
    Mark

Advanced Taster

Red Hook. Another use for my recently acquired bottle o' Punt e Mes, and a damn tasty one at that. Great bitterness and funk exuded by the PeM and Maraschino. Another spin-off of a classic that just appeals more to my palate.

Enthusiast

Just got the ribs on while enjoying a "Kentucky Breakfast". I didn't have any apricot preserves to add to mine.

• 2 ounces bourbon
    • 1 ounce fresh-squeezed lemon juice
    • 1/2 ounce rich simple syrup
    • 1/2 ounce egg white, beaten
    • 1 teaspoon apricot preserves

Shake well with ice and pour into a chilled cocktail glass if you have one.

Last edited by RVTsteve; 07-04-2013 at 10:25.