Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Cocktail are you Enjoying Summer '13?

Well, after all these years, a meeting with an old friend where he encouraged me to pick up a bottle of green Chartreuse. We knocked back a few glasses, and ever since I have been enjoying it on the rocks. Thick, sticky, sweet, medicinal... I love it. God bless those Trappists.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Parkersback View Post
    Well, after all these years, a meeting with an old friend where he encouraged me to pick up a bottle of green Chartreuse. We knocked back a few glasses, and ever since I have been enjoying it on the rocks. Thick, sticky, sweet, medicinal... I love it. God bless those Trappists.
    If you liked that you might be ready for the "Vieillissement Exceptionnellement Prolonge" or V.E.P. extra aged version! Probably about three times the cost but oh so mellow and tasty despite being 108 proof.

Spendy but at least you get a full liter.

But they are Carthusian monks, not Trappists!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Tried a Mackinnon cocktail last night as I look for an interesting but light and fizzy summer drink.

Mackinnon Cocktail

2 oz Drambuie
    1⁄2 oz Light rum (I used Flor de Cana 4yo white)
    1⁄2 oz Lemon juice
    1⁄2 oz Lime juice
    3 oz Club soda or seltzer water
    1 slice Lime as garnish
    Optional: 2 dashes Peychaud's bitters

Build in a highball glass, top with club soda, stir gently, garnish

I liked the addition of the Peychaud's and it is a good way to get through a bottle of Drambuie that has been sitting around for awhile. It is not quite as good as "My Favorite Mechanic is a Woman" but then what is...
    That was exactly the drink I was looking for, and would have been a perfect way to use up that bottle of Drambuie I've never bought for precisely that reason. Alas, I turned elsewhere in search of my light cocktail fix and found myself at the Delores Park Swizzle.

1 oz amontillado sherry
    1 oz reposado tequila
    3/4 oz lime juice
    3/4 oz ginger syrup
    1/4 oz falernum

Shake well and strain into a tall glass filled with crushed ice. Swizzle. Top with several dashes of aromatic bitters and a healthy sprig of mint.

Damned if it wasn't just as satisfying. It was in a modestly different vein (spicy light swizzle rather than refreshing sour fizz), but still fit the bill of post-work, summer night cocktail.
    Last edited by Alphanumeric; 07-12-2013 at 23:41.

Enthusiast

that sounds nice. i recommend dry shaking without ice first to get the egg whites to do their magic. @RTVSteve

Connoisseur

But they are Carthusian monks, not Trappists!
    Ugh, you are so right! My mistake! Thomas Merton is spinning in his grave.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Guru

I got an interesting idea from the current issue of Esquire magazine - an Old Fashioned made with tequila. I am pleasantly surprised at how good it is.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I got an interesting idea from the current issue of Esquire magazine - an Old Fashioned made with tequila. I am pleasantly surprised at how good it is.

Tim
    It has been a regular at my house for awhile. A nice reposado with a splash of dark agave syrup and Xocolatl Mole bitters does nicely! Sometimes use Agavero orange liqueur, which is made with agave syrup, orange essence and tequila, in place of agave syrup as a change of pace.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

It has been a regular at my house for awhile. A nice reposado with a splash of dark agave syrup and Xocolatl Mole bitters does nicely! Sometimes use Agavero orange liqueur, which is made with agave syrup, orange essence and tequila, in place of agave syrup as a change of pace.
    I kept mine the essence of simplicity, to see what the cocktail tastes like on its own. Just a teaspoon of sugar, a few drops of Angostura bitters, a splash of water to dissolve the sugar, and a healthy pour of blue agave tequila.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Disciple

And for those who weren't there or otherwise know, tanstaafl2, is quite the doctor of mixology . He required a dolly to bring all his potables to set up for our cocktail hour at the Sampler which was greatly enjoyed by all including Mosugoji64 and Smokinjoe.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spring 2013 031.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	165.2 KB 
ID:	16087 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spring 2013 032.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	189.6 KB 
ID:	16088 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spring 2013 033.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	16089
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Connoisseur

That sounds absolutely delicious! Now where the heck do I find those bitters...