Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What Cocktail are you Enjoying Summer '13?

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    That sounds absolutely delicious! Now where the heck do I find those bitters...
    Originally produced by The Bitter Truth for Bittermens it is now available under the Bittermens label. According to their website it is distributed by a group called the Country Vintner in the DC area. Gotta be a few places in the DC area that carry it.

The Bitter Truth still makes their own version of Chocolate bitters although it is now a bit different from the original Bittermens version. But an adequate substitute if you can't find the other.
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 07-19-2013 at 08:00.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Originally produced by The Bitter Truth for Bittermens it is now available under the Bittermens label. According to their website it is distributed by a group called the Country Vintner in the DC area. Gotta be a few places in the DC area that carry it. The Bitter Truth still makes their own version of Chocolate bitters although it is now a bit different from the original Bittermens version. But an adequate substitute if you can't find the other.
    It's likely on the way home from work (sheesh, I'm kind of embarrassed)! My wife loves chocolate stouts brewed with mole spices, so it's a given that I'll get a hug if I bring home some bitters

Connoisseur

Urggh, I got Fees Aztec Chocolate bitters because it was the first one I saw and it was so goldarn hot... I didn't notice until I got home that it has glycerin and artificial flavors.

I made a low-rent version of yours, with this stuff and some New Holland Hatter Royale, which is barley vodka steeped with Centennial hops. It tastes a heck of a lot like tequila. Despite the woeful ingredients, it tasted great!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    Urggh, I got Fees Aztec Chocolate bitters because it was the first one I saw and it was so goldarn hot... I didn't notice until I got home that it has glycerin and artificial flavors.

I made a low-rent version of yours, with this stuff and some New Holland Hatter Royale, which is barley vodka steeped with Centennial hops. It tastes a heck of a lot like tequila. Despite the woeful ingredients, it tasted great!
    The availability and wide array of options of Fee products is appealing and I have several of their bitters. Their barrel aged aromatic bitters are pretty good. But I always prefer spirit based bitters with natural ingredients when I can find them. Fortunately a better variety of options in bitters has appeared in the last couple of years.

Haven't had the New Holland Hatter Royale but in the end all that matters is if you liked it!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Disciple

Had the Sazerac at Morton's in Indy last night. R1, a bitters-soaked sugar cube, and Absinthe. I'm not a big cocktail person, but I enjoyed it very much.

Guru

Yesterday was a hot summer day and my mind went back to one of my favorites from my college days, the Tom Collins. I went and bought a fresh bottle of club soda to make it at it's sparkling best. The essence of simplicity: one teaspoon of sugar, juice of 1/2 fresh squeezed lemon, a shot of Tanqueray gin, fill glass with ice cubes, and fill with club soda. Refreshing!

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Advanced Taster

Floridita variant I spotted on eGullet. To be more accurate, one of the cocktails that goes by the name of Floridita. I thought it was a novel substitution of cdc for maraschino, but then I began to question what the hell sweet vermouth was doing in a daiquiri variation. Indeed, this is an altogether different beast. DrinkBoy confirmed that I was sipping on one of the many made at that famous bar of the same name in Cuba. Anyway:

1 1/2 oz white rum (Matusalem Platino)
    1/2 oz sweet vermouth (I only keep one dark a&f wine on hand and right now, that's Punt E Mes)
    1/2 oz lime juice
    1 tsp. grenadine (Rose's; apparently my homemade was a little past its expiration date...)
    1/2 tsp. creme de cacao (homemade)

First off, Punt e Mes plus homemade cacao nib cdc gives you a very bitter Floridita. So keeping that in mind, this was a fairly good cocktail. Gets me thinking of dark chocolate-covered cherries, except the lime drags the flavor in a brighter direction. A good option for playing around with any cdc you've got gathering dust.

Connoisseur

figured out a good use for my Weller....a premium Manhattan. Sorry about the cloudy ice, but it barely melted by the time I was done

"A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Guru

I have seen a few Manhattan variations using Averna but the ones I can recall basically replace the vermouth with Averna rather than add both. And I confess Weller 12 is sufficiently premium for me but no doubt this was good.

Black Manhattan
    2 oz rye/bourbon
    1 oz Averna
    1 dash Angostura bitters
    1 dash Regans' orange bitters
    Brandied cherry

The Beatnik
    1.5oz Amaro Averna
    1oz Rye/Bourbon
    .5oz Tawny Port
    1 dash Peychaud’s Bitters
    Orange Twist

And one that does use both:

San Gennaro
    1 ounce Rye Whiskey
    1 ounce Averna
    1 ounce Carpano Antica Formula or Sweet Vermouth
    1/2 teaspoon Campari
    1 or 2 Luxardo Maraschino Cherries Garnish

Averna is good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoys View Post
    figured out a good use for my Weller....a premium Manhattan. Sorry about the cloudy ice, but it barely melted by the time I was done

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I have seen a few Manhattan variations using Averna but the ones I can recall basically replace the vermouth with Averna rather than add both. And I confess Weller 12 is sufficiently premium for me but no doubt this was good.

And one that does use both:

San Gennaro
    1 ounce Rye Whiskey
    1 ounce Averna
    1 ounce Carpano Antica Formula or Sweet Vermouth
    1/2 teaspoon Campari
    1 or 2 Luxardo Maraschino Cherries Garnish

Averna is good stuff!
    Mine is based on the GT Manhattan at GT Fish & Oyster in Chicago (off the menu, but they'll still make it). Last time I was there they used Old Forester. One time I was watching the bartender make it and he had a dropper bottle labeled "ANGO"---the secret ingredient, I thought. "What's ANGO?", I asked. "Angostura Bitters", he replied-----duh! I sent a couple of friends there for cocktails and they agreed--best Manhattan they ever had.
    BTW, GT F&O has all the Pappy's (I think vW's, too) and all the BTAC's. And great food. Highly recommended if you're in Chicago.
    http://gtoyster.com
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ