Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: The French Spirits Forum- Cognac, Armagnac, Calvados

its amazing what a 5% increase in alcohol can do.
    True, but when you think of it as a decrease in the water added rather than just an increase in alcohol it makes more sense.

Virtuoso

On a whim I picked up a bottle of Chatelier VS Cognac from Trader Joe's (one of their special deals, $20). I don't know anything about cognac but I think it's very drinkable. Subtle, not syrupy sweet like a lot of VS brandies, and with a nice oaky burn at the end. Reminds me a lot of 4RSmB in style.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Virtuoso

After a dinner of Turkey left overs I'm sipping an Armagnac -- Domaine de Barailon 1985, bottled in 2012 Armagnac. This is a lovely pour without any of the cloying sweetness or "grapeyness" that seems to afflict so many French Brandys.
    White fruit , chocolate and tobacco on the nose. Palate is softly honeyed with oak, pepper and fruit that provides a sweet and spicy ride that ends with a modest finish of wood, pepper and mellon.
    This is a classy Armagnac that is miles ahead of most big house Cognacs and should be right in the wheel house of plenty of whiskey drinkers.
    It's available at K&L but their stock is getting low.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    This is a classy Armagnac that is miles ahead of most big house Cognacs and should be right in the wheel house of plenty of whiskey drinkers.
    It's available at K&L but their stock is getting low.
    This is one of my favorite Armagnacs. I think K&L has the ability to order more when their stock depletes - it's not a single barrel. I recall it happening once before.

Enthusiast

Picked up a Delord 25yr Armagnac from Bevmo who has them on sale for about $10 cheaper than I've seen anywhere. It's only my second bottle of Armagnac my first being the Chateau de Pellehaut Reserve. I'm looking forward to trying more of them.

I also got a bottle of Chartreuse Green V.E.P. just in time for Thanksgiving. It was a big hit with everyone willing to try it. Magical stuff.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by RVTsteve View Post
    Picked up a Delord 25yr Armagnac from Bevmo who has them on sale for about $10 cheaper than I've seen anywhere. It's only my second bottle of Armagnac my first being the Chateau de Pellehaut Reserve. I'm looking forward to trying more of them.

I also got a bottle of Chartreuse Green V.E.P. just in time for Thanksgiving. It was a big hit with everyone willing to try it. Magical stuff.
    I have a little bit of Delord 25 in my glass right now. But the 3 beautiful samples of the K&L exclusives from a while back a generous California member sent me : the aforesaid Domaine de Baraillon, Domaine D'Ognoas and Chateau du Tariquet XO, blow the Delord away. Thought I'd mention it since your in the Golden State.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Guru

I'll need to find a mule to bring up some Armagnac / Calvados from KL soon... That new Camut 15yr looks intriguing.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    I'll need to find a mule to bring up some Armagnac / Calvados from KL soon... That new Camut 15yr looks intriguing.
    I have a bottle of the K&L Camut 15 year Calvados from 2012. It's superb, very vibrant and spicy while retaining a good bit of fruitiness.

Enthusiast

I opened a bottle of the K&L 1993 Domaine du Miquer and it's real great stuff, too. A little pricey but worth it i think. It has great depth and is really thick in the glass - nice legs.
    Justin

Guru

Sipping on some K&L Comandon Cognac from a sample - not sure what to make of it yet...
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof