Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Enthusiast

Re: The French Spirits Forum- Cognac, Armagnac, Calvados

Finally opened up a big 1litre bottle of 1980s Otard XO cognac thats been staring at me for a few months. Apart from the cork disintergrating, as expected (which is why I have a draw full of old corks I save as spares now) its a solid pour, I will enjoy this one over the upcomming winter

Advanced Taster

So what is the story with the Louis VIII I always see in the glass case when I'm hunting the rare whiskey's? I've seen it priced at $1955 to $5,000. The bottle looks great but what's with the crazy high price and big swing from store to store? Not familiar with the distilled grapes.

Virtuoso

In an effort to be a good Jew but still knock back my daily dose during this Passover week, I've been doing some brandy diving. I picked up:

Marie Duffau Bas Armagnac 30yo d. 1973 b. 2003
    Germain-Robin Coast Road Reserve
    Germain-Robin XO
    Delamain XO "Pale and Dry" Cognac

The Marie Duffau Armagnac is very reminiscent of a well-aged rye to me. It's 43% and brings sappy floral notes and a very rye-like spice kick on the palate. I really like it. The Coast Road Reserve is amazingly flavorful for an 80-proofer. It's fruity and somewhat meaty with a charming copper lightness to it. Tastes of very high quality distillation. The G-R XO is huuuuge on the nose with plenty of vanilla and stewed berries. The palate brings forth rich chocolate, more fruit and a bit of spice. I can honestly say I've never had a liquor at 80 that was so rich. Extremely well done.

I haven't opened the Delamain yet. I chose it because I was able to discover that they do not use any coloring in their cognacs. Also, from what I've read, the XO contains cognacs far older than the requisite 6 years old (25 years old?). I'll have to open it tonight.

This is a rabbit hole I could fall into and get lost in and my wallet needs this interest like I need an organ-harvesting hole on my body. Still, even though it's only been four days, I miss my malt and bourbon!!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

[QUOTE=AaronWF;415114]
    This is a rabbit hole I could fall into and get lost in and my wallet needs this interest like I need an organ-harvesting hole on my body. Still, even though it's only been four days, I miss my malt and bourbon!![/QUOTE

Arghhh!! Binny's already feeds my Bourbon habit on trips home. Info like this temps me more down that other isle with delicious brown liquid.....

But I have to admit, I am a fan of GR products, they are quite good.

Tempting on the 30yr......

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Virtuoso

Just don't ever sample the G-R Anno Domini if you want to keep your wallet safely closed.

Advanced Taster

At the suggestion of my whiskey manager I purchased Chateau de Saint Aubin Bas-Armagnac, Reserve du Chateau, Tour du Monde. I have to say that it's very enjoyable. Not so sweet like the cognac and Brandy I've tried. New to the French spirits so I won't attempt tasting notes at this juncture in my journey.

Virtuoso

Has anyone tasted the Hennessy Paradis?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    In an effort to be a good Jew but still knock back my daily dose during this Passover week, I've been doing some brandy diving. I picked up:

Marie Duffau Bas Armagnac 30yo d. 1973 b. 2003
    Germain-Robin Coast Road Reserve
    Germain-Robin XO
    Delamain XO "Pale and Dry" Cognac

The Marie Duffau Armagnac is very reminiscent of a well-aged rye to me. It's 43% and brings sappy floral notes and a very rye-like spice kick on the palate. I really like it. The Coast Road Reserve is amazingly flavorful for an 80-proofer. It's fruity and somewhat meaty with a charming copper lightness to it. Tastes of very high quality distillation. The G-R XO is huuuuge on the nose with plenty of vanilla and stewed berries. The palate brings forth rich chocolate, more fruit and a bit of spice. I can honestly say I've never had a liquor at 80 that was so rich. Extremely well done.

I haven't opened the Delamain yet. I chose it because I was able to discover that they do not use any coloring in their cognacs. Also, from what I've read, the XO contains cognacs far older than the requisite 6 years old (25 years old?). I'll have to open it tonight.

This is a rabbit hole I could fall into and get lost in and my wallet needs this interest like I need an organ-harvesting hole on my body. Still, even though it's only been four days, I miss my malt and bourbon!!
    Very nice notes, Aaron. I just picked up a less expensive, younger bottle of Marie Duffau and look forward to tasting it soon. Watch out for those rabbit holes! I just stepped into one recently filled with rum and I'm having trouble climbing out.
    Last edited by unclebunk; 04-22-2014 at 18:20.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet