Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: The French Spirits Forum- Cognac, Armagnac, Calvados

Finally opened up a big 1litre bottle of 1980s Otard XO cognac thats been staring at me for a few months. Apart from the cork disintergrating, as expected (which is why I have a draw full of old corks I save as spares now) its a solid pour, I will enjoy this one over the upcomming winter

Advanced Taster

So what is the story with the Louis VIII I always see in the glass case when I'm hunting the rare whiskey's? I've seen it priced at $1955 to $5,000. The bottle looks great but what's with the crazy high price and big swing from store to store? Not familiar with the distilled grapes.

Virtuoso

In an effort to be a good Jew but still knock back my daily dose during this Passover week, I've been doing some brandy diving. I picked up:

Marie Duffau Bas Armagnac 30yo d. 1973 b. 2003
    Germain-Robin Coast Road Reserve
    Germain-Robin XO
    Delamain XO "Pale and Dry" Cognac

The Marie Duffau Armagnac is very reminiscent of a well-aged rye to me. It's 43% and brings sappy floral notes and a very rye-like spice kick on the palate. I really like it. The Coast Road Reserve is amazingly flavorful for an 80-proofer. It's fruity and somewhat meaty with a charming copper lightness to it. Tastes of very high quality distillation. The G-R XO is huuuuge on the nose with plenty of vanilla and stewed berries. The palate brings forth rich chocolate, more fruit and a bit of spice. I can honestly say I've never had a liquor at 80 that was so rich. Extremely well done.

I haven't opened the Delamain yet. I chose it because I was able to discover that they do not use any coloring in their cognacs. Also, from what I've read, the XO contains cognacs far older than the requisite 6 years old (25 years old?). I'll have to open it tonight.

This is a rabbit hole I could fall into and get lost in and my wallet needs this interest like I need an organ-harvesting hole on my body. Still, even though it's only been four days, I miss my malt and bourbon!!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

[QUOTE=AaronWF;415114]
    This is a rabbit hole I could fall into and get lost in and my wallet needs this interest like I need an organ-harvesting hole on my body. Still, even though it's only been four days, I miss my malt and bourbon!![/QUOTE

Arghhh!! Binny's already feeds my Bourbon habit on trips home. Info like this temps me more down that other isle with delicious brown liquid.....

But I have to admit, I am a fan of GR products, they are quite good.

Tempting on the 30yr......

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Virtuoso

Just don't ever sample the G-R Anno Domini if you want to keep your wallet safely closed.

Advanced Taster

At the suggestion of my whiskey manager I purchased Chateau de Saint Aubin Bas-Armagnac, Reserve du Chateau, Tour du Monde. I have to say that it's very enjoyable. Not so sweet like the cognac and Brandy I've tried. New to the French spirits so I won't attempt tasting notes at this juncture in my journey.

Virtuoso

Has anyone tasted the Hennessy Paradis?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    In an effort to be a good Jew but still knock back my daily dose during this Passover week, I've been doing some brandy diving. I picked up:

Marie Duffau Bas Armagnac 30yo d. 1973 b. 2003
    Germain-Robin Coast Road Reserve
    Germain-Robin XO
    Delamain XO "Pale and Dry" Cognac

The Marie Duffau Armagnac is very reminiscent of a well-aged rye to me. It's 43% and brings sappy floral notes and a very rye-like spice kick on the palate. I really like it. The Coast Road Reserve is amazingly flavorful for an 80-proofer. It's fruity and somewhat meaty with a charming copper lightness to it. Tastes of very high quality distillation. The G-R XO is huuuuge on the nose with plenty of vanilla and stewed berries. The palate brings forth rich chocolate, more fruit and a bit of spice. I can honestly say I've never had a liquor at 80 that was so rich. Extremely well done.

I haven't opened the Delamain yet. I chose it because I was able to discover that they do not use any coloring in their cognacs. Also, from what I've read, the XO contains cognacs far older than the requisite 6 years old (25 years old?). I'll have to open it tonight.

This is a rabbit hole I could fall into and get lost in and my wallet needs this interest like I need an organ-harvesting hole on my body. Still, even though it's only been four days, I miss my malt and bourbon!!
    Very nice notes, Aaron. I just picked up a less expensive, younger bottle of Marie Duffau and look forward to tasting it soon. Watch out for those rabbit holes! I just stepped into one recently filled with rum and I'm having trouble climbing out.
    Last edited by unclebunk; 04-22-2014 at 18:20.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

KL Wines 2014 brandy selections are showing up now. Anyone grab some? Find any winners? I ordered the1986 Domaine de Pouchegu 27 Year, but I don't live as close as I used to so it takes me forever to pick up these days.

Enthusiast

Definitely would like to hear feedback on those K&L buys as well. I blame Driscoll for many things, Armagnac is on the top of the list.

Actually, one of my best scores isn't brown juice at all. 100% grain free and I have to explain to nearly everyone what it is exactly.....
    Attached Images Attached Images