Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Re: The French Spirits Forum- Cognac, Armagnac, Calvados

I'm glad I found this thread. Like many of us, I follow the K&L blog which is what piqued my interest in Armagnac and ultimately brandy in general.

I am really falling head over heals for Armagnac and am so enjoying my journey right now. I've picked up a Chateau de Pellehaut 1996, Darroze 20 and Baraillon 20 so far. I am very much enjoying all of them right now but the Pellehaut stands above the rest for me which I think probably has to do with proof more than anything. The other two are somewhat lower proof and that is definitely noticeable. I tend to like higher proof, fuller flavored bourbons so I guess it's no great surprise that I would like the same in brandies.

With my interest in brandy recently I've become curious about Calvados. I've never tried it. I'd like to have some sort of experience with it before buying a bottle but then I didn't with Armagnac and that worked out just fine. K&L has a 2006 Domaine Hubert Pays d'Auge Vieux Calvados for about $30 right now. Seems like a good place to start and a great price. Does anyone have any experience with this one? Is it worth checking out?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by kamera View Post
    I'm glad I found this thread. Like many of us, I follow the K&L blog which is what piqued my interest in Armagnac and ultimately brandy in general.

I am really falling head over heals for Armagnac and am so enjoying my journey right now. I've picked up a Chateau de Pellehaut 1996, Darroze 20 and Baraillon 20 so far. I am very much enjoying all of them right now but the Pellehaut stands above the rest for me which I think probably has to do with proof more than anything. The other two are somewhat lower proof and that is definitely noticeable. I tend to like higher proof, fuller flavored bourbons so I guess it's no great surprise that I would like the same in brandies.

With my interest in brandy recently I've become curious about Calvados. I've never tried it. I'd like to have some sort of experience with it before buying a bottle but then I didn't with Armagnac and that worked out just fine. K&L has a 2006 Domaine Hubert Pays d'Auge Vieux Calvados for about $30 right now. Seems like a good place to start and a great price. Does anyone have any experience with this one? Is it worth checking out?
    I have an open bottle of the K&L 2006 Domaine Hubert, so I'm having a drink of it now. Good apple aromas and decent flavors but it has some spiritous edges that strike me as peculiar. I have to admit that the price is definitely good for a ~7yo calvados at $30 though. If you give this a shot and it's not your thing, don't give up on calvados altogether. I love calvados but again, I find this to be ok. My first bottle was the Roger Groult 8yo and I liked it a lot...but it's also $55, quite a bit more than the 2006 Hubert.

Since you like higher proof, I think a good bet is Laird's bonded Apple brandy. I know it's not calvados but it's similar, well-priced, and the proof adds some kick!

Let us know what you end up with and how you like it.

-Kyle

I ended up ordering the 2006 Domaine Hubert. The spirituous edge doesn't worry me and actually sounds kind of intriguing and it was a great price. For $30 I don't mind jumping in, for $55 I want to know a little about what calvados is all about before committing. Hopefully this will be a good entry place. I did look into the Laird's Bonded, it looks like it's out of stock at K&L. It looks like something I would probably really like. Next time that come in I plan to give it a go.

I'm hoping to get up to K&L on Saturday to pick up my orders. I'll let you know what I think once I try the calvados. Thanks for taking the time to give me some info!

Quote Originally Posted by Kpiz View Post
    ... Since you like higher proof, I think a good bet is Laird's bonded Apple brandy...
    or Laird's 7 yo if looking for age. It's lower proof, but it definitely matures well, and still reasonably priced.