Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Re: The French Spirits Forum- Cognac, Armagnac, Calvados

Quote Originally Posted by compliance View Post
    I love that 96 Pellehaut. Coincidentally I have already hit that bottle tonight! Been through multiples since the first release and the newer ones taste the same to me.
    Mine is on the way. Added it to my open orders and everything shipped out today...should arrive in time for the weekend. Looking forward to trying it.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Trying my first sips of a Marie Duffau Hors d 'Age. Nice nose with a dark fruit raisiny character. But, had to be very careful to not let the alcohol burn rip through. Only 80 proof, but the alcohol note is strong at times. But, the nose is very pleasing overall, and portends a fullness for the palate. It starts that way with some nice Bourbony semi-sweet caramel hints with dried figs at the beginning of the tip of the tongue, and I am ready for these flavors to explode into something more...but that "extra gear" that seems to be next , just doesn't come. Just, OK... The finish is a big disappointment, as it falls off almost immediately, and enforces to me that there simply is no extra gear to come, and the best of this Spirit came early on.

My first try at an Armagnac, and I'm left wanting. I'll step it up to another, though, as I'm always game to try and learn!
    Ferrand 1er Cru de Cognac Ambre. I've had this several times over the years, but never really have given much thought to it. Spending some time with it, tonight. Much less alcohol heat on the nose than the Duffau, while the rest of the nose was less raisiny. Fairly simple in comparison, but more enjoyable. A Sherwin-Williams latex paint thing going on, like what I got in the Courvoisier that one of our poker buddies used to bring to the table years ago. Simple still, over the palate with some sweetness and honey. Finish is sort of...short...and has an industrial quality to it. Maybe, that paint thing, again ? Overall, it's decent. Certainly drinkable. But, nothing to get me excited about the category. But, price is good at $29.

I'll keep trying.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Trying my first sips of a Marie Duffau Hors d 'Age. Nice nose with a dark fruit raisiny character. But, had to be very careful to not let the alcohol burn rip through. Only 80 proof, but the alcohol note is strong at times. But, the nose is very pleasing overall, and portends a fullness for the palate. It starts that way with some nice Bourbony semi-sweet caramel hints with dried figs at the beginning of the tip of the tongue, and I am ready for these flavors to explode into something more...but that "extra gear" that seems to be next , just doesn't come. Just, OK... The finish is a big disappointment, as it falls off almost immediately, and enforces to me that there simply is no extra gear to come, and the best of this Spirit came early on.

My first try at an Armagnac, and I'm left wanting. I'll step it up to another, though, as I'm always game to try and learn!
    Well, that's a bummer to hear, as the MD Hors d'Age and Delord XO were in line for my next purchases. Have you revisited Marie and do you still have the same impression?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Got my KL shipment today! Among some other items, it included:

1996 Chateau de Pellehaut 18 Year
    Darroze Les Grande Assemblages 20 Year
    1974 Domaine de Baraillon 40 Year

Based on what I've read here I'm very excited to break a couple of these bottles. Thanks for the suggestions.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Well, that's a bummer to hear, as the MD Hors d'Age and Delord XO were in line for my next purchases. Have you revisited Marie and do you still have the same impression?
    I have, Hank. Can't say that I enjoy it any more. But, the alcohol note on the nose has settled way down, which allows for a more pleasant experience there. Still relatively tame. The Delord 25 is on my hit list next. So many good things reported on that one. I'm hoping that more age brings these around for me. Or, this could all be a mindset thing, I got going. Transitioning from bourbon to these appellations may require an adjustment in expectations of what I need to be looking for. A kind of not seeing the forest for the trees kinda thing. We never know til we try, right Hank!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Quote Originally Posted by md222 View Post
    Got my KL shipment today! Among some other items, it included:

1996 Chateau de Pellehaut 18 Year
    Darroze Les Grande Assemblages 20 Year
    1974 Domaine de Baraillon 40 Year

Based on what I've read here I'm very excited to break a couple of these bottles. Thanks for the suggestions.
    I'll be interested to hear what you think. I'm drinking a bit of the Baraillon 20 year right now which hits all the right button, I'm really curious to hear about the 40.

Enthusiast

Picked up some Tariquet 15 year cask strength (but only about 95 proof). I've had good luck with Armagnac in the past, loved Delord 25 and MD Hor D'age. This one is thin and solventy in comparison. Still drinkable but not my favorite.