Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    Guru

Re: The French Spirits Forum- Cognac, Armagnac, Calvados

Quote Originally Posted by onemorepour View Post
    Attachment 20506
    Found this on the shelf in a store today that Ive visited a few times in the past.
    "How long have you had this?"
    "Oh yeh thats been out the back a while.."

Paid a very fair price, he was happy to see it go to a good home, and I plan to return to ask about what else might be back there.

Estimated to be mid 1960's, great fill level, really excited to taste this one, all the other standard releases from the big houses around this era ive tried in the past have all been impressive.
    Wow. How cool! You definitely need to go back and make some inquiries. That's how I scored a case of Eagle Rare 10/101 that had been sitting in the back room for years.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

Just opened up this bottle of Leopold Gourmel Age du Fruit (10 carats) Cognac. This is in the new, fancy looking bottle. Looks to have been bottled sometime in 2014. I have to say, this is really nice. Lots of interesting fruitiness playing well with oak. None of that overdone sweetness I've tasted in the past with more popular brands of cognac. I don't know if it's worth the asking price (I don't know the cognac market well enough to make an educated guess), but it is definitely piquing my interest in finding other non-tampered with Cognacs.
    Eric

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    Just opened up this bottle of Leopold Gourmel Age du Fruit (10 carats) Cognac. This is in the new, fancy looking bottle. Looks to have been bottled sometime in 2014. I have to say, this is really nice. Lots of interesting fruitiness playing well with oak. None of that overdone sweetness I've tasted in the past with more popular brands of cognac. I don't know if it's worth the asking price (I don't know the cognac market well enough to make an educated guess), but it is definitely piquing my interest in finding other non-tampered with Cognacs.
    Moved to an actual brandy snifter vs glencairn. The snifter does a much better job of opening the spirit up. Right now it tastes like fruit leather. Delicious.
    Eric

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    Moved to an actual brandy snifter vs glencairn. The snifter does a much better job of opening the spirit up.
    Have you tried using the brandy snifter for bourbon?

Some people swear by the snifters. They say the glencairn is a compromise design - originally designed to be robust (unbreakable) for bar use. Snifters are more delicate but with the bigger bowls are better suited for sipping spirits.
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    Have you tried using the brandy snifter for bourbon?

Some people swear by the snifters. They say the glencairn is a compromise design - originally designed to be robust (unbreakable) for bar use. Snifters are more delicate but with the bigger bowls are better suited for sipping spirits.
    I typically try all bottles I open from glencairn, NEAT, snifter, and even tumbler(Amrut fusion was excellent out of a tumbler for some reason) if nothing else is working. Jack Rose serves all spirits out of a snifter unless you ask for a glencairn, and that is originally where I figured out that cask strength whiskies (including bourbons) work better for me out of them. Old oaky bourbons seem to work well out of snifters, too. Chainwhip also suggested it. I regret learning that at the end of my bottle of JPS21, because it really brought something new to the table.
    Eric

Looking to get into Armagnac, Anything decent in the $50 range? Picked up a Cles Des Ducs VSOP...Thoughts on this one?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dave43 View Post
    Looking to get into Armagnac, Anything decent in the $50 range? Picked up a Cles Des Ducs VSOP...Thoughts on this one?
    I've been eyeing Marie Duffau Hors d'Age and Delord XO, both of which are priced at $50. Anyone care to weigh in on which one I should get?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

K&L and Ralfy piqued my interest in Italian grappa and brandy this week. Anyone got any experience with Villa Zarri 10 or 21?
    Eric

Virtuoso

Giving Germain Robin XO a shot.
    Eric