Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: The French Spirits Forum- Cognac, Armagnac, Calvados

You don't mess around! Nice haul and glad you like it. I also have a sweet tooth so I wasn't too worried about Sku's comments regarding that. Is it really only good for 4 weeks once opened? I know the same is true of vermouth and sherry but I have those open for months, although I'm just mixing them. Barrels aren't air tight and it was in one of those for 30 years!

Guru

At 34 proof and with that much sugar I doubt it would go bad that quick especially if refrigerated and I keep mine closed with a vacuvin. I have had regular PdC open for much longer than 4 weeks without any problems.

But I doubt it will last that long once open anyway!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

I may have spoke too soon on the sweetness. It's not cognac sweet or dessert wine sweet, it is straight up 'could be made of 50% to 75% honey' sweet. It reminds me of when I make some honey lemon for a sore throat, but switch the lemon juice for cognac. It's decent on its own but I started experimenting with it. It's awesome poured over a scoop of vanilla ice cream (I do this with sherry too). It's also great with club soda as Sku suggested. And I substituted it for the vermouth in a Manhattan and got an enjoyable variation on that.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by compliance View Post
    I may have spoke too soon on the sweetness. It's not cognac sweet or dessert wine sweet, it is straight up 'could be made of 50% to 75% honey' sweet. It reminds me of when I make some honey lemon for a sore throat, but switch the lemon juice for cognac. It's decent on its own but I started experimenting with it. It's awesome poured over a scoop of vanilla ice cream (I do this with sherry too). It's also great with club soda as Sku suggested. And I substituted it for the vermouth in a Manhattan and got an enjoyable variation on that.
    Mine will likey be consumed as is. All plum and raisin sweetness up front with a lot of body and depth and an undefined fruit component at the back end. Apricot maybe?

Soooo good.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Guru

Back to Delord 25 tonight
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

It seems like Chartreuse has been coming up so often recently in different places that I had to try a bottle. Herbal, pine, medicinal, thick and sweet, potpourri and grandma. Can't say I am too into this straight but the mixing potential seems huge. Will be proceeding to cocktails next.
    Last edited by compliance; 09-13-2013 at 15:40.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by compliance View Post
    It seems like Chartreuse has been coming up so often recently in different places that I had to try a bottle. Herbal, pine, medicinal, thick and sweet, potpourri and grandma. Can't say I am too into this straight but the mixing potential seems huge. Will be proceeding to cocktails next.
    The VEP is one of my favorite postprandial sippers but it does take a bit of getting used to if you are new to it.

And yes, it is quite versatile in cocktails! My last word on the subject will be "The Last Word"!

(it's a lovely but powerful cocktail using equal parts of green chartreuse, gin, lime juice and maraschino liqueur)

Enthusiast

I opened a 1985 Baraillon from K&L last night, and man, what an Armagnac. The nose was simply amazing with the mixture of fruit and spice - the fruit was not overpowering at all. And on the palate, sku was right on with the mixture of fruit and earthyness. There were faint notes of bourbon like vanilla and caramel along with the fruit - but it wasn't cloying. I really like the balance. The finish was long and warm, but not alcoholic.

I started getting into Armagnac as a change of pace from bourbon, but lately, I find myself heading towards the Armagnac bottles more frequelntly. This is really great stuff. It's not for everyone, but I really enjoy it.

The one thing I have noticed about Armagnac is how different the nose and palate can be. I've had a few bottles where the nose leads you in one direction and the palate does something completely different.
    Justin

Virtuoso

The one thing I have noticed about Armagnac is how different the nose and palate can be. I've had a few bottles where the nose leads you in one direction and the palate does something completely different.
    Matches my observations also.. Same difference for Cognac except that after a great nose you often get......almost nothing on the palate.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    Matches my observations also.. Same difference for Cognac except that after a great nose you often get......almost nothing on the palate.
    I've tried some "fine" cognacs and found them to be very mild on the palate, too. As bourbon drinkers, we look for that powerful flavor. All of the stronger Armagnacs (over 80pf) I've tried deliver that strong flavor, whereas cognac, eh, not so much...

There are a lot of people out there that prefer smoothness and subtlety over bold flavors and richness. For example, my wife does not let me season her steak or chicken at all, where I pile on salt, pepper and spices. She gets on my case if my food even touches hers.

I have a hard time drinking 80pf bourbon and I'm finding it the same with Armagnac. 90pf + seems to be a sweet spot - its amazing what a 5% increase in alcohol can do.
    Justin