Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 102 of 120 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1200
    Connoisseur

Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Summer 2013

My name is Paddy and I'm proud to report that I've been clean for 7 days (I did purchase 9 cigars today). Oh well, there is always tomorrow!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    dont be part of the problem. pass them off at a few bucks profit to people you know whod love to have some. id feel better doing that than fleecing someone.
    I agree. I am not part of the problem. I left more ECBP on the shelf than I bought. And I sold two today well below market value - just trying to defray my costs, not squeeze every last penny of profit. Happy? ;-)
    A man's got to know his limitations.

-Harry Callahan, Magnum Force

Virtuoso

Acquired 2012 FR SmB LE in a trade. Can't wait to open this one up.

I also acquired 2013 OFBB in a trade. Today was a good day.
    Last edited by CL; 09-11-2013 at 19:58. Reason: OFBB

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by CL View Post
    I agree. I am not part of the problem. I left more ECBP on the shelf than I bought. And I sold two today well below market value - just trying to defray my costs, not squeeze every last penny of profit. Happy? ;-)

pretty much. market value is $40-50. its supposed to retail at $40. nothing wrong with making a few bucks. just dont be like the prick someone on here mentioned the other day who was selling some at $140. that guy deserves a bourbon enema

Guru

Beam Signature seems to have started arriving in Atlanta. Had both the 12yo and the "Rare Spanish Brandy" versions. Decided to hold off on the 12yo for now but picked up the Brandy version. Might not get to it for awhile though.

Beam Signature Brandy 1.jpegBeam Signature Brandy 2.jpeg

Still no sign of OFBB 13 or the new PHC in local stores that I have seen.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    pretty much. market value is $40-50. its supposed to retail at $40. nothing wrong with making a few bucks. just dont be like the prick someone on here mentioned the other day who was selling some at $140. that guy deserves a bourbon enema
    Hmmm, do you have any other instructions on how I am supposed to handle my bourbon? ;-)

We have a market-based economy. The price reflects what the market will bear. I can't begrudge a person from using that to their advantage if they deal in an honest manner. Afterall, he isn't the cause of the high price - it's the people paying $140 that are. If the demand isn't there, the price will drop.

I choose not to operate in that manner (well, most of the time). I'd rather share the bourbon and build relationships. Fortunately, the market-based economy lets me do that and it lets me choose who I do business with. If someone is charging more than what I want to pay, I can just walk away (which I do quite often). There's plenty of good bourbon to enjoy in its place.
    Last edited by CL; 09-11-2013 at 22:20. Reason: ;-)

Connoisseur

Picked up a Blanton's Gold this morning. Here's the full selection of bourbon at this shop in Stockholm.

Blantons Gold SB 9 12 13.jpgSystembolaget Stockholm SB 9 12 13.jpg

FRSmB=$49, MM=$55, JD=$46, FRYL=$39, Bulleit=$43, JB=$39

Enthusiast

We have a market-based economy. The price reflects what the market will bear. I can't begrudge a person from using that to their advantage if they deal in an honest manner. Afterall, he isn't the cause of the high price - it's the people paying $140 that are. If the demand isn't there, the price will drop.
    I suspect the same people that complain about "gouging" in the whisky business are themselves "gouging" their own goods/services in the eyes of someone else.

Guru

Hmmm, do you have any other instructions on how I am supposed to handle my bourbon? ;-)

I choose not to operate in that manner (well, most of the time). I'd rather share the bourbon and build relationships. Fortunately, the market-based economy lets me do that and it lets me choose who I do business with. If someone is charging more than what I want to pay, I can just walk away (which I do quite often). There's plenty of good bourbon to enjoy in its place.

its the same thing as ticket scalping, and society thinks lowly enough of it that there are laws against it. sure, people will still use a scalper to get something they want. The problem, as i see it, is that the distiller, singer, etc...priced the item at a level they thought fair, and offered them to the open public, but someone else comes along and scoops it all up and resets the price, to the exclusion of the people who are likely the most true fans.

but thats just me. if i dont like something done to me, i sure as hell wont do it to someone else. ever.

im not ranting against you, CL. relax.

Guru

Difference being scalping is legal in plenty of places.