Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 71 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Summer 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Vosgar View Post
    Found an Ezra Brooks Winston Churchill decanter from 1969, whiskey aged 160 months, 90 proof, $14.45. Tax stamp still there, but naturally I broke the cork so there's some work left to be done.
    Nice find,great price as well all the decanters I usually find are at mind numbing prices so I pass because the juice inside is always such a gamble.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Enthusiast

Since there's a rebate offer going around and I've been wanting to try it for awhile, caved in and bought a bottle of Ezra B single barrel 12 year. Bottle dates were from either 2011, 2012, or 2013. I picked 1-12 bottled on, barrel 448.

Haven't had a chance to taste it yet but must say it smells amazing. This is one of those bottles I am very hopeful about but realistic as well. I'll post about my thoughts later when I get to sip it in the "what are you drinking tonight thread".

Enthusiast

Perhaps I have posted this before but its very interesting to me how this would probably be categorizable as a BIB if they wanted to; its probably all from the same distillery and distilling season since its a single barrel. Something about that 49.5% is slightly fishy to me, its like they fudged it just ever so slightly that it became not BIB-able. Sure they'd be able to call it BIB with only a half percent more alcohol...but then they'd also have to tell where it came from.

Disciple

What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Summer 2013

BIB's not a requirement of 100 proof whiskey (see: Knob Creek, Old Forester Signature for example.)
    Jim

Taster

Was able to grab a bottle of Lot B via raffle at my local store. I paid retail, so I did not get BX'd at the register. Also picked up a bottle of JB Black while I was there as well.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by suntour View Post
    Perhaps I have posted this before but its very interesting to me how this would probably be categorizable as a BIB if they wanted to; its probably all from the same distillery and distilling season since its a single barrel. Something about that 49.5% is slightly fishy to me, its like they fudged it just ever so slightly that it became not BIB-able. Sure they'd be able to call it BIB with only a half percent more alcohol...but then they'd also have to tell where it came from.
    Likely they just don't want to (or are prevented from) listing the distillery. The 99 proof might just be something to make it stand out a bit as a little different. Anyway, enjoy! I bought an EB SB a few months ago and it is almost dry. I think I've read the speculation is HH, and a SBS w/ EC12 is interesting - the EB is slightly less sweet, maybe with a more herbaceous character, less oak tannin yet with a drier finish. I loved my bottle and will be looking for a replacement.
    Mark

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by suntour View Post
    Something about that 49.5% is slightly fishy to me, its like they fudged it just ever so slightly that it became not BIB-able. Sure they'd be able to call it BIB with only a half percent more alcohol...but then they'd also have to tell where it came from.
    I'm sure the 99 proof bit is a gimmick. Why I can't imagine, 100 proof is more recognizable and listing it as a BIB is optional.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    Nice run bill. Hopefully you got mine too. I'm holding your ECBP hostage
    Got you covered brother. Let's plan on swapping some bottles later this week.
    "Civilization begins with distillation."

William Faulkner

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by wmpevans View Post
    While "shopping" picked up a dark side: Bunnahabhain 12: unchillfiltered 46.3% Islay malt. This is a non-peated Islay malt, so not your usual peat monster.
    Don't mean to thread jack, but I'm really loving Bunnahabhain right now. Had a sample of some 40 year old a few weeks back and just picked up a cask strength 22 year old single barrel.

Advanced Taster

Stagg Jr (for a friend) and a Willet Estate 6 yr single barrel bourbon 119 proof. Don't know much about the Willet, I see the Rye all over the place but haven't seen much of the Estate Bourbon