Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 80 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Summer 2013

you guys are taking this too seriously. even i appreciate being the butt of the joke.

many, many guys on here have offered to deal with me via a ship-trade. im not comfortable with that. just because its done all the time doesnt mean you wont be the one guy caught for it and made an example of. its just bourbon, its not worth the risk. id love to try it, but its not a big deal.

Wryguy............the BOTY offer was a joke. i seriously doubt he was serious at offering to bring a bottle to me at below cost.

highinthemtns...........im relatively new to bourbon, but even i know that this stuff is distilled and bottled/aged at two very different locations.

and im not saying that because you live 1000 miles away that you shouldnt get any. my point was the irony of it being relatively easy to find everywhere but where it is made.

ECBP and i are a running joke on this site. even if i dont pop in and say anything, others refer to the joke anyway.

relax and have a drink.

Connoisseur

It's a bit early for a drink, but heck, why not?! I've got the day off, and ECBP sounds delightful! Sounds to me like you're a man of many principles and rules. FWIW, I do think that Joe's offer was genuine, his generosity is legendary. I think the expression is "you don't look a gift horse in the mouth," you just drink from it, no questions asked, and thank the bourbon gods. Anyhoo, sooner or later someone on here in KY will take care of you, if you can't find it yourself.

Disciple

What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Summer 2013

Pretty sure Joe's offer was genuine even if he phrased it in a joking manner. There's a reason he's BOTY.

ECBP is hard to find everywhere. When it's shown up here, it's been gone within a day or two. It's kinda silly, and it's just whiskey, but getting releases like ECBP takes work.

Anyway, the joke ran its course a long time ago. You're new and you haven't seen it happen yet but within the next couple months we are going to get inundated with "woe is me, I can't find PVW or BTAC" posts. Hard to find releases are nothing new.
    Jim

Advanced Taster

Not sure if I am missing something or misreading a joke but I will chime in anyway: Shipping alcohol is not illegal. You cannot do it by USPS but it can obviously be done by UPS and FedEx if you are a licensed retailer. They do tend to deny personal alcohol shipping but I have seen exceptions made without having to lie about the contents. With UPS and FedEx it is not an issue of legality it is just a company policy. A friendly chat with a local UPS or FedEx clerk may surprise.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by NWBourbonDrinker View Post
    Not sure if I am missing something or misreading a joke but I will chime in anyway: Shipping alcohol is not illegal. You cannot do it by USPS but it can obviously be done by UPS and FedEx if you are a licensed retailer. They do tend to deny personal alcohol shipping but I have seen exceptions made without having to lie about the contents. With UPS and FedEx it is not an issue of legality it is just a company policy. A friendly chat with a local UPS or FedEx clerk may surprise.
    Varies by state at least. It is illegal to receive an alcohol shipment here in Utah. That's why I've never done it. Nope, never ever.
    Jim

Virtuoso

Smokey, this is not 'nam, this is bowling, there are rules.

Guru

NW you are correct in that a properly licensed dealer in a State which allows him to ship alcohol may do so. The problem is most States prohibit their citizens to receive the alcohol. Even in States where the citizens may receive such a shipment if they live in a dry County they may not be allowed to take possession.

In prohibited areas it is at least a misdemeanor to receive the alcohol and I'm sure foureyedfox does not want to fill out his first job application upon graduation by having to check the 'yes' block on the question of have you ever been arrested.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post

Picked up 2 3paks yesterday just sayin'
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    Picked up 2 3paks yesterday just sayin'
    Well I sure as hell ain't above receiving booze in the mail
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post

In prohibited areas it is at least a misdemeanor to receive the alcohol and I'm sure foureyedfox does not want to fill out his first job application upon graduation by having to check the 'yes' block on the question of have you ever been arrested.

thanks, squire, for making my point. applying for a medical job upon graduation with an arrest/etc for an alcohol violation would not look well. that, and shipment of alcohol is regulated.....or else there wouldnt be departments of government devoted specifically to such parameters, like the ATF. its just not worth it, even if someone on here offered to ship it to me absolutely free.

restaurant man knows this is a joke. hell, he is even one of the guys nice enough to offer to try to connect me with some when i was contemplating a vacation to his great state.

its a joke, guys. the only time i really got pissed was the time there was a bottle at the store that they refused to sell me because some guy reserved it over the phone. THEN, i lost my mind for a minute or three.

If BOTY was serious, i wouldnt take him up on it for less than he paid for it. its worth his cost plus a small connection fee. some guys, however, have offered to trade me one of these for 6 other things in return. im not into fleecing.

thank you to all the guys who've offered to help!