Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Foreign Whiskey Dusty Hunting/Drinking 2013

Ran into some Balvenie 10 year Founders Reserve for $53.49. Way too much. I can get the 15 year single barrel for $59.99.

Guru

Re: Foreign Whiskey Dusty Hunting/Drinking 2013

I agree that's too much, they weren't calling it rare or something were they?

Virtuoso

Foreign Whiskey Dusty Hunting/Drinking 2013

No, just on the shelf like normal. There's only one retailer with good Balvenie pricing. Most places have DW for over 60 and the 15 for nearly 90. This was at one of those places.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Ran into some Balvenie 10 year Founders Reserve for $53.49. Way too much. I can get the 15 year single barrel for $59.99.
    I paid about exactly half of that,when it still was on shelves it was somewhere in the 30's.The ones I purchased in the past were all marked down as clearance items.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Guru

I'm just gonna call one of you two next time I'm out. Passed on a bunch of stuff today that I never see around here, but just don't know enough about the Darkside to pull the trigger.

Disciple

Just remember the advice is free my thirst is not.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Guru

Deal.

Nothing terribly old. Wish I could remember it all. The one that I've looked up that sounds promising enough was the Bowmore Darkest. Oh, and a Chivas Bros Century of Malts. :/

Guru

Well then, let's just say my enthusiasm for the brand does not rise to current pricing levels.

Advanced Taster

Popped into a few new stores yesterday and found what I like to call a pseudo-dusty, which I define as a whisky that is still being made today but has been on the shelf long enough for the price to be substantially lower than current market value. Recent examples of my finds include 4 bottles of Talisker 18 (3@ $73 and 1 @ $70) and last night I found an Oban 14 for $30 in a very, very sketchy store. I had to wait 15 minutes for the clerks to finish helping the endless parade of people who could have starred in a perils of alcohol addiction video. After I while I began to question my own pursuit of hooch - but then I tasted the Oban and realized it was completely worthwhile. I can only imagine the days when Oban was going for $30 as the standard shelf price.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyRI View Post
    Popped into a few new stores yesterday and found what I like to call a pseudo-dusty, which I define as a whisky that is still being made today but has been on the shelf long enough for the price to be substantially lower than current market value. Recent examples of my finds include 4 bottles of Talisker 18 (3@ $73 and 1 @ $70) and last night I found an Oban 14 for $30 in a very, very sketchy store. I had to wait 15 minutes for the clerks to finish helping the endless parade of people who could have starred in a perils of alcohol addiction video. After I while I began to question my own pursuit of hooch - but then I tasted the Oban and realized it was completely worthwhile. I can only imagine the days when Oban was going for $30 as the standard shelf price.
    Would love to find Talisker 18 here at anything close to $70! Would be a definite buy. More like $100+ currently.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum