Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Angels Envy Private Equity

Who else has private equity backing? Not private family ownership like Saz, but plain private equity.
    Compared to public ownership and family ownership, will this be a plus, minus or no difference for AE?
    Mark

Virtuoso

Re: Angels Envy Private Equity

Quote Originally Posted by mark fleetwood View Post
    Who else has private equity backing? Not private family ownership like Saz, but plain private equity.
    Compared to public ownership and family ownership, will this be a plus, minus or no difference for AE?
    That will be completely dependent on the return expectations of the private equity investor - eventually, they want a return on their investment like everyone else and within a certain period of time. While they might be more "patient" than the herd, this isn't always the case ... so, unfortunately, "it depends" ...
    Mark

Guru

Was Bruichladdich's resurrection based on similar private equity funding?
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Was Bruichladdich's resurrection based on similar private equity funding?
    I think so .. I believe Mark Reynier pulled together private investors to get it going again - 12 years or so later, they sold. But I would assume they were getting a return sooner based on the success of the operation.
    Mark

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

If you look into it, the Angel's Envy ownership group is very complicated. It was even before Blue put his money in. I assume it is not a coincidence that they were announced at the same time. That's the capital investment they needed to buy the property and build the facility. I wondered what the delay was because I couldn't imagine the owners of a derelict building were holding out for a better price. Now I see that they probably couldn't move until all of the money was in place.

All you see are the Hendersons and pretty girls in angel outfits, but the president is an international real estate and entertainment investor named Mark Bushala. The chairman of the board is Jay Maltby, former CEO of Cruzan Rum who also once sat on the board of Angostura. His company is called Incubrands. So Blue's private equity money isn't all of the money, just some of it. I'm told the Hendersons have considerable skin in the game too.

You can't compare Angel's Envy to existing companies like Sazerac. You have to compare it to other start ups. Is there private equity investment in other micros? Probably. Anyone who intends to primarily make aged whiskey needs a lot of capital and the investors need to be in it for the long haul. The best-capitalized companies don't always succeed, but they always have the best chance to succeed.

There's nothing wrong with any of this. It's good, in fact, because these are serious people with serious credentials and serious money. They know what they're doing. This isn't the "Hey, my dad has a barn, let's put on a show!" mentality of most micros.
    Last edited by cowdery; 07-10-2013 at 21:15.

I believe some public grant money is involved also. I remember the city of louisville awarding a bunch to Angels Envy a month ago but they couldnt announce details yet.

I am guessing it was to keep the distillery downtown and renovate an older building rather than building new.

And that building is perfect for exposure. It will be right next to the new downtown interstate bridge project. Nothing like a few hundred thousand vehicles passing within 150 feet of you on a daily basis.

Guru

What I imagine is aging whisky shaking in the barrel as all that traffic rumbles by.

Guru

I wish them every success which will encourage other capital investment as well.

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    What I imagine is aging whisky shaking in the barrel as all that traffic rumbles by.
    I am sure a special "high traffic" edition is on the idea board. Use barrels with more vibration from the traffic, charge 20% more. Genius mr squire.

Connoisseur

Part of the delay was the new bridges project/expressway expansion. I heard another part was "environmental issues". Still I am glad to see the Hendersons finally getting the shovel in the ground.
    Mike Veach