Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 55 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: What did you pass up today? Summer '13

Bulleit 1.75 L with two shot glasses for $43.99 at Costco. Can't buy liquor in Indiana on Sunday. Not sure that I would have bought it anyway.

Connoisseur

Passed up a 2013 FR1BLE for $99. Not biting at that price. Ironically, this grocery store has the best price around on the standard FR1B at $29.99, and awhile back I picked up a bunch of gift packs for that price which came with two nice FR rocks glasses. I am finding retailers are reaching on these limited editions. This probably would have been $79.99 a year ago.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post
    Passed up a 2013 FR1BLE for $99. Not biting at that price. Ironically, this grocery store has the best price around on the standard FR1B at $29.99, and awhile back I picked up a bunch of gift packs for that price which came with two nice FR rocks glasses. I am finding retailers are reaching on these limited editions. This probably would have been $79.99 a year ago.
    Definitely seem to be gouging a bit. Got it this year for between $75.99-$79.99 locally when I can find it. Although local taxes may be higher in NJ.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Definitely seem to be gouging a bit. Got it this year for between $75.99-$79.99 locally when I can find it. Although local taxes may be higher in NJ.
    These are pre-tax prices I am talking about. I think it is just retailers charging what they think they can get, not what they "should" be charging based on the suggested retail price. It is why I paid $49.99 (again, pre-tax) for the ECBP, as opposed to the $39.99 or thereabouts that some people were paying in other areas of the country. Limited availability in and of itself now seems to mean higher pricing along with it.

Guru

These are pre-tax prices I am talking about. I think it is just retailers charging what they think they can get, not what they "should" be charging based on the suggested retail price. It is why I paid $49.99 (again, pre-tax) for the ECBP, as opposed to the $39.99 or thereabouts that some people were paying in other areas of the country. Limited availability in and of itself now seems to mean higher pricing along with it.
    I meant any state taxes and fees built into the price, not counting sales tax. Each state seems to be different. The store I got the FR LE from for $75.99 was charging $49.99 as well for the ECBP so go figure! I heard of others in my area finding it for less. One of the few occasions when they were charging a good bit more than the competition.

Of course I never saw an ECBP at the other stores I shop so I was stuck. But I did at least get several bottles from them. I guess nobody else wanted it at that price!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Connoisseur

Limited availability in and of itself now seems to mean higher pricing along with it.
    This isn't a new phenomenon, nor one limited to bourbon or any other whiskey, it is one of the most basic principles of free market economics

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I meant any state taxes and fees built into the price, not counting sales tax. Each state seems to be different. The store I got the FR LE from for $75.99 was charging $49.99 as well for the ECBP so go figure! I heard of others in my area finding it for less. One of the few occasions when they were charging a good bit more than the competition.

Of course I never saw an ECBP at the other stores I shop so I was stuck. But I did at least get several bottles from them. I guess nobody else wanted it at that price!
    From what I read on the boards, $49.99 seems to be a premium price for ECBP. However, I would gladly pay that amount for a bottle. Can't find any in Indy unless you want to pay $99.99. Ain't gonna happen. They still have it. You would think that if they have it for over a month at that price that they would get the message and maybe price it appropriately.

Guru

A-holes like that will sit on those bottles for years at that price. There are stores around here that still have BTAC on the shelves from 2007 for $150 a bottle.

Some of them will bargain with you though. You never know unless you ask. I have a feeling that ECBP will be easier to find within the next few months. At least I hope so.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    I have a feeling that ECBP will be easier to find within the next few months.

cant be any harder to find, here at least.....

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    I have a feeling that ECBP will be easier to find within the next few months. At least I hope so.
    I too think it will be easier to find in the near future. I only wonder if it will still be available for around $40. Or even $50. According to my local whiskey mongers Stagg Jr is on the near horizon now and it will be interesting to see what the price point will be for that as well.